depth of wings...

all, i’d like to do a doulble-winged swallowtail next and wanted some insight on the depth of the wings themselves. that is to say, how far inbound from the rail should the wings cut in? i’ve seen some boards that look to be about .25" from the rail and some that look to be over an inch. what is the standard? is there a standard? what performance effects does more depth create? thanks in advance, kirk

all,>>> i’d like to do a doulble-winged swallowtail next and wanted some insight > on the depth of the wings themselves. that is to say, how far inbound from > the rail should the wings cut in? i’ve seen some boards that look to be > about .25" from the rail and some that look to be over an inch. what > is the standard? is there a standard? what performance effects does more > depth create?>>> thanks in advance, kirk Hi Kirk, Strangely enough I’m gonna be meeting with a buddy tomorrow who’s gonna shape a custom double winged swallow, I’ve worked an outline and some basics for. Wing placement and depth depends on how you what the stick to act.I’ll post the specks on mine tomorrow evening when we’re done. Ben Apia puts his single wings way up on his stingers. I guess one could build a new school stinger with a pair of wings well off the tail and another just behind the rail fins. I don’t know if it’s been done byt the result would be interesting if nothing else. So I guess there’s pretty wide range of approaches when it comes to where and why you they’re placed as they are and how deep they are. I’ll be interested in seeing what the many shaper here have to say about their affects on board performance. Good Surfin’, Rich

Hi Kirk, I don’t have the rocker demensions but when all was said and done. The board measures. 7’9"x14.5"x22.5"x17.5"x3.0" The swallow tail measures 5.5" at the tail and the wings are very nearly 3/8" deep the first is just behind the 12" measurement of the tail width, the second splits the difference between the tip of the tail and the first. They keep the rail line flow running beautifully. It’s truely a fine piece of work.The 1/8" cedar stringers dive right into the tips of the swallow tail. We stretched the lines out about 3" from the orginal cause that’s water they needed. “New Beginnings” is doing the glass work. I’m in charge of the fins of course. I’ve got some radical plans in that department. Hope this is a help. Good Surfin’, Rich