Design help for myself: Long fish, egg, or hybrid?

Guys,

Looking for some advice on a next board for an aging (52), decent shape guy (200lb 6’1"), who’s not getting out in the water as much (2, 4 times a month), but still have fantasies of being the shortboarder I was 20 years ago :slight_smile:  NJ beachbreaks with the range of 3’ to 5’ waves.  30 years surfing history, riding shortboards 80%, but have always had the love for longboards too.   

For about 10 years, I been mainly on a retro keel fish, and longboards on occassion.  But, now trying to get back on some of the more grovel type (41 to 42L / 6’2" to 6’5") shortboards and just frustrating myself (feel like bars of soap syndrome).   In my quiver, is the keel fish, 3 shortboards  (6’2" to 6’8") and NR longboards.  My guess, I need to work my way back into the shortboards and even the fish, but needed some advice, since I’ve really never rode anything in between.  

• Would a design like a Frye style long fish, Christenson, Hall make sense: 6'9" to 7''2".  (love the cruise, sweeping turns of the small keel fish, ability to handle just about any wave NJ can throw)
  • Would a Hanel, Mini Bing Pintail, speed egg be better: 7'0" to 7'6" (don't think I want a mini-lonboard, as I feel like I might have that covered in my reg LB's).  But, maybe to cruisy for me?
  •  I also keep going back to something Maurice is making for himself now, which looks more hybrid  in say 7'0" to 7'4": https://www.mauricecole.com/reddingo
  • Other suggestions; big-guy tri, large grovelor 

I also have no idea to size any of those for myself.  Thanks for any advice from all.  

Kindly,

Herb B. 

I’d say a 7-6 Bing mini pintail with thruster fins. Length depending on your best guess. 

All the best

I can really relate to this dilemna.

While I like eggs, they always feel a bit too close to a well-shaped HP longboard in their ride (in the 7’6" range anyway).

Maybe consider one of the Stoker V Machine variants by Bruce Fowler? I have to admit that’s where my own thoughts have been wandering lately.

Anyone riding a longer fish in the 7’ range, who can talk to how they ride.  Leaning to a larger fish, or hybrid shortboard like the V Stoker, or what Maurice Cole is making.

Jeffrey - as I share the concern of the egg, and feel I might have that style covered in one of my shorter, HP LB.  

I know Herb Spitzer makes some nice longer fish.  If he doesn’t chime in, I’ll IM him. 

I also have some dreams of getting back into a shorter Board I have a few more years on you. My current “Short Board is a Bruce Fowler custom . 8’6” looking to drop down at least another foot. Looking Some edge boards Shaped by Manny dof Mandala Surfboards. His wife also shapes edge boards She has some photos of. Really nice looking large Fish. Lots of curve in the tail.