Dewey Weber on the mind

Ive been surfing this 9’6 x 16 x 22 x 15.5 x 3 1/4 Dewey Weber lately, and have gotten the itch to start mapping out my next board. The board has been floating between family members for about ~20yrs, and from what I can see was given the green glass job and fin between the rack and my dad getting it. When my dad got it the guy said it was a '63 so that’s what we’ve always gone off of.
The board has got to to weigh in or around 40lbs, between the extra glass job and repairs, so I was looking to build something around 10 lbs or less lighter and with a different fin.
I want to keep the general feel of the board, because of how it seems to “want” to ride high and deep in the wave until you start trimming. I think this is due to the rolled bottom, and possible the weight. Perfect for the spot I’ll be shaping it for slooooooooow rollers.
Things I’m planning on keeping:
9’6 x 16 x 22 x. 15.5 x 3 1/4
Pretty knifey rails considering the thickness
Nose rocker 3 1/4
Tail rocker 3
Bottom roll - deepest in middle at about 1 3/4
Changes:
Hard rails towards tail
Reverse D fin
Figured if a certain old school shaper is doing these in his modern shapes I better take note.

P.s still haven’t figured out what that black circular plug next to the logo if for…

Other inspirations…

Any insight or advise very much welcomed!

I suspect your board, with a 16 inch nose, may date from late 1960 or 1961. Weber blew everyone away around 1962, by going to the ‘‘extreme’’ of a 17 inch nose. Soon to be eclipsed, by the 18 inch nose, and beyond! Your Weber board is a classic Pig. Looks like the WP is somewhere around 35% +/- of the board length. Me, I’d go with 9’ 0’’ x 22’', with a 17 inch nose. You’ll capture all the fun aspects of a classic California Pig. Or, go with what you mapped out. Either way, you’ll have loads of fun, in small to medium waves.

Your board looks conventional 2 me
You want a pig???
Maybe this will help…
PPK Aloha…

Well my board, the black one, worked really well for me.

It weighed in at 27ish lbs and was very smooth and very forgiving.

I’ve ran that rev d fun on 4 of those templates, including my current rider and it never fails me.

The black one had a bit more of a hip than the other ones as well as a bit more roll in the nose and belly.

Worked great in the slow rollers. I will someday build one in the 10ft range.

If I was to build the black one again I’d lower the rocker in the nose to 3-1/4 range to improve it a bit. Maybe a smudge less roll in the nose too.

I’ve since sold the black one and it now lives in Oceanside.

I built a lighter version (18lbs) like the first one I made for waist to over head winter waves as the trim is just an amazing feeling.

Here is the current one. Less hip but still running Bills rev d fin.

And that plug looks like an awesome leash attachment haha

Surf Oceanside fairly often, and would love to come across it. How much belly were you runnin on that guy? The belly on that Dewey is probably a bit deceiving because between the triple stringers it’s indented, throughout time, and formed double concave-like channels throughout the board.
Funny thing is after all these years the board was just surfed without a thought on dimensions, contours, etc. Didn’t even realize it was a pig until Bill said something. I’ve heard a lot on how the hips tend to pull back and into the curl, and I’m guessing this paired with the roll is the unique feeling im after.

Here’s a great video of a pig being shaped by Pieter surfboards in Australia. There’s nuggets of knowledge throughout the whole video. His template for measuring specific continuous rocker was something that interested me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ZHKvUeFy0
Surfapig blog:
“Pieter has a continuous curve profile template that he is able to use on boards from five to eight feet. This curve was built from Pieter keeping an eye on the boards that guys (pros) brought back in the shop and said performed well. He found that these boards had an eight and a half meter radius curve on the bottom surface of the board by the tail. According to feedback from Pieter’s team riders, a surfboard with this curve won’t loose speed through the cutback.”