DHP Resin

I just got off the phone with Larry Block our distributor for Red X. He tells me that he met with Mark Tolan at AST Surfboards last week. Larry tells me that DHP is incredible. Mark handed Larry a glassed piece of rail and asked him to slam it against a steel support beam. Larry said the force distribution and memory allowed the piece to take the impact without any shattering or a pressure ding. Mark said that the Durable High Performance resin will make mush deck and pressure dings a thing of the past. Add to that its non-toxic and Mark has come up with some revolutionary stuff. Oh yeah Mark was very impressed with Red X and are gearing up to make their boards with our fin system.

I just got off the phone with Larry Block our distributor for Red X. He > tells me that he met with Mark Tolan at AST Surfboards last week. Larry > tells me that DHP is incredible. Mark handed Larry a glassed piece of rail > and asked him to slam it against a steel support beam. Larry said the > force distribution and memory allowed the piece to take the impact without > any shattering or a pressure ding. Mark said that the Durable High > Performance resin will make mush deck and pressure dings a thing of the > past. Add to that its non-toxic and Mark has come up with some > revolutionary stuff. Oh yeah Mark was very impressed with Red X and are > gearing up to make their boards with our fin system. wow!! almost too good to be true…i don’t know him, but i’m totally stoked for mark tolan. i hope he has patents and all that stuff lined up, so he can reap the rewards for all of his hard work, that is if the industry tows the line and will use a material that seems to have it all together…or will there be a resistance to progress (by the volume manufacturers), afterall, if a board lasts 2x, 3x, 4x as long then volume will not be as profitable…

Tom: Thanks for the update. After reading the article in Surfer Mag. I was really interested to find out what the their game plan is beyond a single manufacturer. No doubt it is long overdue from the EPA standpoint and it adds some interesting possibilities to the entire industry. Strength to weight and design considerations in general could move forward to entirely new levels, especially with polyurethane foam. Question is what plans if any are there to spread this technology industry-wide? Any thoughts or insight from anyone? (I’m not holding my breath while pretending this is going to show up on my distributor’s shelf in the near future, but it would be nice!) TS>>> I just got off the phone with Larry Block our distributor for Red X. He > tells me that he met with Mark Tolan at AST Surfboards last week. Larry > tells me that DHP is incredible. Mark handed Larry a glassed piece of rail > and asked him to slam it against a steel support beam. Larry said the > force distribution and memory allowed the piece to take the impact without > any shattering or a pressure ding. Mark said that the Durable High > Performance resin will make mush deck and pressure dings a thing of the > past. Add to that its non-toxic and Mark has come up with some > revolutionary stuff. Oh yeah Mark was very impressed with Red X and are > gearing up to make their boards with our fin system.

Tom:>>> Thanks for the update. After reading the article in Surfer Mag. I was > really interested to find out what the their game plan is beyond a single > manufacturer. No doubt it is long overdue from the EPA standpoint and it > adds some interesting possibilities to the entire industry. Strength to > weight and design considerations in general could move forward to entirely > new levels, especially with polyurethane foam. Question is what plans if > any are there to spread this technology industry-wide? Any thoughts or > insight from anyone? (I’m not holding my breath while pretending this is > going to show up on my distributor’s shelf in the near future, but it > would be nice!)>>> TS I am sure that Mark is intending to make it available industry wide. There are some obsticles to over come (i.e. Special curing room and special lams). But, I am sure Mark is looking for interest from the rest of the industry. If you are interested contact him at www.astsurf.com

Tom: I was hoping that was ultimately his motive but I also realize he has to make the numbers work to get back all that he has invested in time and equity. I wish him the best and hope he can swiftly realize his long range goals. It truly sounds as if there are some very exciting times ahead for this industry. I’ll keep salivating down here on the garage builder end and hope to see it sooner than later. Has there been any other press on this other than the one article? TS>>> I am sure that Mark is intending to make it available industry wide. There > are some obsticles to over come (i.e. Special curing room and special > lams). But, I am sure Mark is looking for interest from the rest of the > industry. If you are interested contact him at www.astsurf.com

Tom:>>> I was hoping that was ultimately his motive but I also realize he has to > make the numbers work to get back all that he has invested in time and > equity. I wish him the best and hope he can swiftly realize his long range > goals. It truly sounds as if there are some very exciting times ahead for > this industry. I’ll keep salivating down here on the garage builder end > and hope to see it sooner than later. Has there been any other press on > this other than the one article?>>> TS To All: Like everyone else I await the availablity of this too good to be true product! I don’t think I’m alone in feeling it will have a very valuable and positive environment impact for many obvious reasons, not to mention how much more durable and lighter the finished product will become. Sounds like polyester may rapidly become obsolete if the curing conditions required are not so demanding that it would make DHP prohibitive for wide spread use. --waiting anxiously with the rest, Get More Air!! Rich

Thanks for the excitement about this technology. Our company is stoked about the positive response we are getting and at the same time we want to be cautious about the information we make available. We have watched the introduction of other technologies to this market and want to avoid the wrong claims leading to unsatisfied distributors, manufactures and consumers. Here is some basic information for the curious: 1. Our company is made of surfers who love this industry, culture and sport. 2. We are not here to put anyone out of business. 3. The companies mission is to make a positive impact in local communities we serve 4. AST is structured in a way that directs the proceeds from DHP technology to accomplishing the company mission. 5. Stronger = yes, exact numbers available soon. 6. Performance = glassing is adaptable to meet desired characteristics of each surfer. 7. Transition for factories = expense should range in the same area as being set up for UV. 8. Training time = under 20 hours for full crew. 9. Expense of materials = to be determined (I am working on this and am in negotiations with some larger chemical manufactures that could produce this formula at a better price point than I can. Hopefully we can all save some $) 10. Toxicity = in a well ventilated room respirators can be viewed as optional, acetone is still used for clean up so I make my guys wear them due to the dust and other junk that is always floating around. If you are still eager for more information please feel free to e-mail Mark at In the following months Marks job is focused on meeting as many people as he can in this industry for demonstrations and to discuss how we are going to introduce the product. We are a young company that is eager to succeed and appreciate any references / suggestions thrown our way. Thanks and God Bless Mark Tolan and Javan Van Gronigen P.S. Awesome site and great tips, Thanks for letting us contribute http://www.astsurf.com

Way to go Mark! This is all very impressive and it stands to be a win/win for everyone involved, from the manufacturer all the way down to the end user. The toxicity issues alone hold tremendous advantages. Improvements in strength to weight ratios are icing on the cake. Thanks for the info! TS>>> Thanks for the excitement about this technology. Our company is stoked > about the positive response we are getting and at the same time we want to > be cautious about the information we make available. We have watched the > introduction of other technologies to this market and want to avoid the > wrong claims leading to unsatisfied distributors, manufactures and > consumers.>>> Here is some basic information for the curious: 1. Our company is made of > surfers who love this industry, culture and sport. 2. We are not here to > put anyone out of business. 3. The companies mission is to make a positive > impact in local communities we serve 4. AST is structured in a way that > directs the proceeds from DHP technology to accomplishing the company > mission. 5. Stronger = yes, exact numbers available soon. 6. Performance = > glassing is adaptable to meet desired characteristics of each surfer. 7. > Transition for factories = expense should range in the same area as being > set up for UV. 8. Training time = under 20 hours for full crew. 9. Expense > of materials = to be determined (I am working on this and am in > negotiations with some larger chemical manufactures that could produce > this formula at a better price point than I can. Hopefully we can all save > some $) 10. Toxicity = in a well ventilated room respirators can be viewed > as optional, acetone is still used for clean up so I make my guys wear > them due to the dust and other junk that is always floating around.>>> If you are still eager for more information please feel free to e-mail > Mark at >>> In the following months Marks job is focused on meeting as many > people as he can in this industry for demonstrations and to discuss how we > are going to introduce the product. We are a young company that is eager > to succeed and appreciate any references / suggestions thrown our way.>>> Thanks and God Bless Mark Tolan and Javan Van Gronigen>>> P.S. Awesome site and great tips, Thanks for letting us contribute

Hey, if you need a tester???Herb.