Did You Ever Know That HERBs My Hero...

You know how the rest of the song goes, and I was singing it on Saturday! A week ago I shaped up a longboard for the upcoming summer in FL. I don’t have anywhere to glass locally, so this past Saturday, I go to my buddy’s house about an hour away (one way). For those of you who can’t glass on location, you can relate to this. I have an old mazda protege that I pack all of my supplies into (including the shaped blank). I had all my stuff secured away and hit the road. Not more than 5 minutes into my journey did I take a corner and a full gallon of acetone fell over putting a nice big gouge in the rail (at the tail). The impact also pushed the blank over into a box containing my lam resin putting a dent into the opposing rail. Needless to say I was pissed. I continued on, fuming. Then I started going through the mental swaylock’s knowledge rolodex. Do I patch it with lightweight spackle, sugar and lam resin, or elmer’s glue and foam dust? Then it hit me, the heat gun/hair dryer dent removal tip posted by Herb. I had never done it before, but I went for it. Long story short, it works. You can’t even see it now that it is glassed. MUCH THANKS TO MR. SWAYLOCK (for providing the forum), Mr. Spitzer & all the others who have shared so much. You guys f@#&ing rock!

You know how the rest of the song goes, and I was singing it on Saturday! > A week ago I shaped up a longboard for the upcoming summer in FL. I don’t > have anywhere to glass locally, so this past Saturday, I go to my buddy’s > house about an hour away (one way). For those of you who can’t glass on > location, you can relate to this. I have an old mazda protege that I pack > all of my supplies into (including the shaped blank).>>> I had all my stuff secured away and hit the road. Not more than 5 minutes > into my journey did I take a corner and a full gallon of acetone fell over > putting a nice big gouge in the rail (at the tail). The impact also pushed > the blank over into a box containing my lam resin putting a dent into the > opposing rail. Needless to say I was pissed. I continued on, fuming.>>> Then I started going through the mental swaylock’s knowledge rolodex. Do I > patch it with lightweight spackle, sugar and lam resin, or elmer’s glue > and foam dust? Then it hit me, the heat gun/hair dryer dent removal tip > posted by Herb. I had never done it before, but I went for it. Long story > short, it works. You can’t even see it now that it is glassed. MUCH THANKS > TO MR. SWAYLOCK (for providing the forum), Mr. Spitzer & all the > others who have shared so much. You guys f@#&ing rock! Thats funny.I got so pissed at a blank that I smashed it into smithereens and thought of sending it to Herb for a fix.I heard somewhere that Herb and Martha stewart are cooking up some kinda deal on diaper filler for use in making table ornaments.Must be why we havn’t heard from him lately.

Thats funny.I got so pissed at a blank that I smashed it into smithereens… …Thanks Mike d.,I told you so,I’ve kept the “heatgun trick” a deep dark secret for a lomg time.It’s ACTUALLY a old woodworking trick…more to come!!!..The future belongs to those who see it coming. …Clean,I’ve never destroyed a blank in my shaping life,(even though,there was a few that maybe I should have).When I get that, “rare board from hell”,I put it up for awhile, come back to it @ a later date,and usually save it,with no real problems.You ever wonder how a swallowtail was created?Or a squash,wings,bluntednose…think about it. …Your mind is your best friend,and your worst enemy.Herb

…Thanks Mike d.,I told you so,I’ve kept the “heatgun > trick” a deep dark secret for a lomg time.It’s ACTUALLY a old > woodworking trick…more to come!!!..The future belongs to those > who see it coming.>>> …Clean,I’ve never destroyed a blank in my shaping life,(even > though,there was a few that maybe I should have).When I get that, > “rare board from hell”,I put it up for awhile, come back to it @ > a later date,and usually save it,with no real problems.You ever wonder how > a swallowtail was created?Or a squash,wings,bluntednose…think about > it.>>> …Your mind is your best friend,and your worst enemy.Herb When I got back into shaping I started with a 10’1Y that became a 10’ reject that later became a 9’6’’ reject which begat a 9’0’’ semi gun reject which gave birth to a friggin 5’0 kneeboard hybrid.The hybrid kneeboard has become a “pallete” that I use to test art theories.All of my marble and wood graining expirements have been done on this thing plus it is a good pellet gun target…R.B.

When I got back into shaping I started with a 10’1Y that became a 10’ > reject that later became a 9’6’’ reject which begat a 9’0’’ semi gun > reject which gave birth to a friggin 5’0 kneeboard hybrid.The hybrid > kneeboard has become a “pallete” that I use to test art > theories.All of my marble and wood graining expirements have been done on > this thing plus it is a good pellet gun target…R.B. …I usually save all the broken,junked,tossed boards,blank-tail pieces and a bunch of ex-Vietnam vets and myself go shooting,it’s a blast!Herb

When I got back into shaping I started with a 10’1Y that became a 10’ > reject that later became a 9’6’’ reject which begat a 9’0’’ semi gun > reject which gave birth to a friggin 5’0 kneeboard hybrid.The hybrid > kneeboard has become a “pallete” that I use to test art > theories.All of my marble and wood graining expirements have been done on > this thing plus it is a good pellet gun target…R.B. My dad bent over laughing, and went out the back door, saying something like “at least he saved it”, then we heard his pellet gun … have fun

Im in a development deal as we speak with Tyco for Herb Spitzer action figures. The action figure includes a Billy Idol costume, skil 100 planer, and a swallow tail fish with removable superchargers. I will keep you all posted on updates and release dates.