Ding-repair advice - punched-in circle

Hi everyone! hoping to hear your best suggestion for repair method for a ding i got today – i got run over (my fault, two of us charging for same wave and guy was just to my right, 2 feet closer to peak – karmic justice).

(i used RR CE epoxy, two layers 4 oz. e-cloth.)

pix attached below.

this is a half-dollar-sized punched in circle, pretty clean edges though a crack or two around.

two primary approaches i am thinking of taking:

• use tweezers to crack off punched in epoxy circle, glue in styrofoam to fill out punched-in space, re-glass that spot, hotcoat, sand, or
• tape all around and just basically fill-in the entire thing with epoxy.

i’m not worried about any extra weight, so i’m kinda leaning toward the second. advice?

Sounds good nuff…

Ah, the “thicker” the epoxy fills, the more heat…
And potential for disaster.

Fill it with resin and thickener. Layer of glass overlapping.

huck are you talking about the cabosil stuff i have read about? i have not tried it yet but i’ve seen ppl talk about using it with finboxes.

also – if i use the RR slow hardener that should help with exotherm, correct?

There is no definitive answer on ding repair, everyone has their own approach. I would use a thickener, like q-cel, fill the ding, then sand and cap the repair with a small patch of glass cloth that overlaps the edges a bit. It doesn’t look like enough resin to worry about exotherm, but maybe its just the pics. There are lots of old threads on ding repair in the archives, you can look up with the search function, if you want to explore the subject.

Use qcell in the fill instead of cabosil , qcell will be lighter and it will be closer to the colour of the foam. Cabosil is more useful when a clear fill is desired like in old restoration boards etc. I would do it the same way as Huck described, and double up the amount of glass you would normally use as it’s on the rail where the top and bottom lams overlap

Plus, q cell is much easier to sand then cabosil. As said earlier, fill, cap with glass, hot coat and sand. Pretty easy repair actually.