Ding Repair ends up with a smooth lump? How to flat?

This reminds me of something that happened many years ago at Jim Phillips' world-famous Magnolia Street factory. Jim had a new guy come in looking for a job. JKP gave the guy a board (not a paying customer's board, mind you) with one rail ding and said ''fix it''. The new guy ''fixed'', but sanded through on each side of repair trying to ''smooth''. So he ''fixed'' those two sandthroughs, and then promptly sanded through on each side of those. The rest of us that worked there thought this was great entertainment. This continues until the whole rail was one big repair, no shit...

The best part is that the guy stuck with it and actually became a good sander, went on to work for one of the ''bigs'', and sanded 10s of thousands of boards. So the moral of the story is that practice pays off.

haha Didn’t pass the thumbnail test huh? Wish I could’ve seen that.

For Grace1: If you can easily push your thumbnail through the glass outside the ding area, you sanded away all the cloth while smoothing it out and have nothing but a thin layer of resin covering the foam. (Applies mostly to shortboards)

About 15 years back, I picked up an 11 foot Denis Adres the had a ding patch that I have often copied.  It had been taped off, sanded, taped off again, hot coated , and was done .  There was a slight edge all the way around, but it looked clean and intentional.

Some people will fix it and sand it flat, then paint a layer of resin over the sanded area to seal it.

I’ve got a friend who collects and rides longboards from the 60’s. I actually see the type of repair you are talking about ALOT on these boards. They generally look like older repairs but not from the boards period.