disc sanders

hey folks i’m wondering if anyone uses disc sanders much and if so, which brand? any recommendations? just found the site, very cool.

hey folks>>> i’m wondering if anyone uses disc sanders much and if so, which brand? any > recommendations? just found the site, very cool. >…try "harbor freight tools"they have an excellent sander/polisher for $50.00($40.00 on sale now and then).it’s really light weight(half the wt. of a mikita,third the wt. of the mil.s)it’s small and has some great high ball features like; spindle stop button ,external brush screw-entry,5/8"x11 thread spindle screw,and 2 speeds 1800,and 3400…I think… anyway, it’s the best sander I’ve ever used for surfboards bar none.Plus at that price you can buy 4 at a time!!!

Here’s some mre info:item #41213 sku#92363-41213,Chicago 7"electric sander/polisher,2 speed(2800,3300).you can get them @www.harbourfreight.com or call1-800-444-3353.

Here’s some mre info:item #41213 sku#92363-41213,Chicago 7"electric > sander/polisher,2 speed(2800,3300).you can get them > @www.harbourfreight.com or call1-800-444-3353. thanks for the tip…i’ll check it out. still can’t believe what a cool forum…

I use Milwaukee variable speed sanders ($180 - $200) with 8" (hard, medium and soft)disks, and a couple of 6" disks to get in between glass on fins.

Disc sander for shaping or sanding?

Disc sander for shaping or sanding? i’m interested in using the sander for shaping, particularly foiling the nose area and rail bands…etc. b

To those interested,>>>www.harbourfreight.com should actually be www.harborfreight.com. I added to “resources” under materials & suplies/tools S

Whatever machine you use you’ll need a rheostat to plug your sander into so you can keep the rpm’s to a minimum. Be sure to use a THICK foam pad. You’ll have to make it yourself out of very soft foam rubber. I like screen as opposed to sandpaper for the cutting disk. Use the sander for blending only as it’s really easy to develop dips in your blank until you get more experience with the machine. Even with experience I’ve found it best to rely more on your planer than anything else for 95% of the shaping process. aloha,tom