displacement vs. planing area

Let’s say one person weighs 150lb and rides a 6’2" x 18.25" x 2.25" standard shortboard. If a 200lb person wants to make scale up these dimensions to make a board for himself, should he try for the same displacement volume per pound, in which case he might make a 6’6" x 19.75" x 2 5/8" or does he need the same amount of planing surface per pound, in which case he might make a much bigger board, maybe about a 7’2" x 21" outline?

you’ve got to watch it when adding width to increase volume to a board. in small, weaker waves, some extra width is a bonus, but adding float using additional width in waves with some juice has inherent problems (i.e. less hold in critical positions on the wave). using a thicker blank and doming the deck has been most effective for me. i weigh 185 and use a slightly wider board, a little longer and just a little thicker than i used when i was in my “prime” at 155 lbs.

you’ve got to watch it when adding width to increase volume to a board. in small, weaker waves, some extra width is a bonus, but adding float using additional width in waves with some juice has inherent problems (i.e. less hold in critical positions on the wave). using a thicker blank and doming the deck has been most effective for me. i weigh 185 and use a slightly wider board, a little longer and just a little thicker than i used when i was in my “prime” at 155 lbs.

Remember that a lot of the lift is generated dynamically, you can’t go by volume alone. If you don’t already have a favorite size/shape shortboard I think it’s best to go by some ‘rules of thumb’, this discussion has been had before, check the archives… I know guys in the 200 lb range that ride 6’6 and guys that ride 7’0 shorties, though 21” is way too wide for any type of shortboard. Rusty makes some great looking (being 160lbs. I can’t really say I know how they feel) big boy shortboards.

Remember that a lot of the lift is generated dynamically, you can’t go by volume alone. If you don’t already have a favorite size/shape shortboard I think it’s best to go by some ‘rules of thumb’, this discussion has been had before, check the archives… I know guys in the 200 lb range that ride 6’6 and guys that ride 7’0 shorties, though 21” is way too wide for any type of shortboard. Rusty makes some great looking (being 160lbs. I can’t really say I know how they feel) big boy shortboards.