Diver’s Sled

4’x30” x 3.5”.  On June 24, this was just a big old chuck of foam.  I finished this project on June 30.  I made this as a retirement gift for my surf buddy Curtis.  When the South Shore is small or flat, Curtis likes to dive in the breaks from Number Threes all the way to Ala Moana Bowls. Most divers like hunting for fish or octopus but not Curtis.  He likes looking for fins, GoPro cameras, watches, sunglasses or anything weird he can find.  He also likes to remove fishing lines, hooks, lead weights, plastic, rubbish etc.

I wanted to make him something that he can place his treasure on, hold up a dive flag and a vehicle for him to lay on if he needs to rest or catch a wave on his return trip in.  EPS/ Epoxy, two layers 4 oz. bottom; 2 layers 4 oz. and 1 layer 6 oz. deck. Sanded finish with acrylic sealer.    

Slick deal UncleD. Very creative and clever. I bet he rakes it in finding things. My buddy dives the Trukee River rapids and never fails to come home without a few rings or a watch or two and tons of sunglasses.That’s a good thing for the both of you. Onya.

Those handles near the front corners, what did you use to attach them? I’m assuming you glassed in something, but it’s not an fcs or leash plug. Are those phillips head screws? 

Awesome UncleD!

That sure beats the patched inner tube with a hokey valve stem and half-torn net sagging in the middle.

Do you have a leash plug on the bottom side for the diver’s tow line?

Can it drift off while he’s diving or is it attached to him?

Usually a diver has to be ‘under’ the flag  within so many feet radius, like 50 or 100 feet (15-30m). If you are stationary you can work around a flag, if you are moving the flag needs to go with you.

Most places have keep-away rules from boats to flags that are greater than the above distances, but they often become ‘targets’ for curioisty.

Love it UncleD.

Gotta know.  What material did you use for the deck mat/pad?

Love it!!!  The black raft seam lines are killer! 

1/4"x20 sail board inserts.

Yes

Yes, tow rope.

Black Tip Shark EVA Foan deck pad I bought form Amazon.  It was left overs from a SUP project.