DIY Leash Attachment

In the beginning, there was the ‘‘Gremmie Shackle’’, a suction cup on the board’s nose, attached to the surfer’s wrist by surgical tubing.        In 1971, at SURF SYSTEMS, I started using a white PVC 1/2 inch end cap, with a 1/4th inch dia. Nylon rod through it, as an attachment point on the surfboard’s tail.      Later I started drilling the Nylon rod through the back of the FU box, as a point of leash attachment.      Why attach on the under side if the board, you ask?      Because it greatly reduces the incidence of the board ‘‘tombstoning’’ after a wipeout.       Later still, I believe Channin introduced the ‘‘through the box’’ leash attachment method.     A method widely used by many builders today.    Me among them.      If you want a cup attachment, I recommend making your own, out of PVC.     For the drill through rod, there is Nylon, stainless steel, carbon fiber rod, and fiberglass rod, non corrosive all.      And the bonus is that the PVC cup method, is exceedingly strong.     It has much more bonding surface area, than the commercialy available offerings.    

For a buck to two bucks each;  I’ll just buy them.  Thank you though for your very creative idea.  I’ve seen PVC fail more than a few times just due to cold temps.

I use the little micro cups on shortboards.  Never had one fail.

Hey Bill, interesting thread to me, not so much to anyone else apparently, haha.  Yes, I remember surfing in the pre-leash days, and I remember those early suction cup leash attachments, although I never had one.  Guys used to drill a hole in their fin and attach the leash there, too. 

To us, leashes were for kooks, we called 'em kook cords, cuz we felt surfing without a leash made you a better surfer, and a better swimmer, hah.  Not a better surfer in approaching maneuvers with reckless abandon, but it keeping control of your board, hanging on to it thru the paddle out, and even being careful how you fall on a wipeout, so as not to lose your board.  In the end, being able to surf with reckless abandon knowing your board wasn’t going anywhere won out, and leashes became the norm.  The leashes, and the methods of attachment have become much more sophisticated.  Now, people without a leash are considered reckless by some, and ridiculed for it.  

I have seen people make their own leash anchors on the wood board forum, because they wanted a wood model to match the board.  They made a cup out of wood, with a cross pin, like a wood version of the popular cups.  There also used to be a commercially available leash anchor that attached to the very back of the board, to minimize tombstoning on every wave, and minimize rail damage.  But I just searched and couldn’t find any images online, so maybe not around anymore.

Some guys like the resin loop, which is a form of DIY leash attachment.  At least its DIY if you are the one doing the glassing.  Leash cups are doubled up on big wave guns, because the pressure on the anchor is so great during a wipeout, they double the strength by spreading the load between two cups.

Leash attachment, for me, is a fun way to be creative and add a personal touch to a self-made board, and I like mine in the very very back, because I ride bigger, buoyant boards, and I like the fact that there is very little resistance from a wave pulling on the board that way.

No It’s interesting to me and I have seen it done before.  Probably the primitive forerunner of what we have today.  

Like you, I’ve not had one of my PVC cups fail.     The large amount of surface area for bonding, and a mechanical locking channel, Dremel cut into the cup, guarentees survival of almost anything.      Solid design, and proper prep, makes all the difference, between success and failure.     Far from primitive.     Just not for the unskilled, or lazy, to attempt.