Yo, my tail is 12" wide.

[/quote]

is that at the tips or 12" up

my board is 12" at the tips

I would consider that wide

how bout 12" up ,,???

[quote="$1"]

"Your tail is like my mind:  fairly narrow."

Ha!  Good one...  Does that explain why I like 11" tails?  Ha!

"Yes, twins need vee."

Greg - Care to elaborate?  Not that I'm planning on riding a twin, but... I'm still here gathering as much "knowledge" as I can.

Beerfan - You may like to try an "edge" finned, with close spread (@1") quad some time.  Different feel than the McKee set up completly.

[/quote]

TaylorO, i have thought the same thing. I have a homemade twin i've modified as a rail finned quad. Tried it a few times, felt much more "free" to me, i' don't feel like i have to consciously focus on turning, it just turns!!. I'd love to get a rail finned quad from the same shaper, but, my money tree just isn't growing as fast as i'd like hehehe.

Saying that though i really like my Mckee style quad, its just that i need to use a fin setup with tiny rear fins in the front fcs rear plug, which makes it kinda feel like a twinny. BTW, bottom shape on that is single to double, and feels fine in turns.

I guess the distinction needs to be made behind an MR twin and a kneeboard (Lis) inspired one. I thought the latter were called “fishes” to differentiate from the type MR rode.

The twin im talking about is a hybrid i suppose. 15n x 20.5 ( @ Halfway ) 16t, with a pulled in swallow. I had a flat bottom twin keel that was pure magic, no problem with turning or rail to rail, but i think that was a fluke, I don't have it anymore, and i kick myself repeatedly about it.

Cheers for all this advice guys.

at 12" from the tail my board is 16 1/4" wide, at the mid point my board is 21.5" wide

I suspect this is a different strokes for different folks subject. I just stumbled upon this thread because I’ve decided to play with twins again with summer just around the corner.

Like GL, mine will have V. I’ve seen a fairly new MR, and it didn’t have any vee. I should think he should know, and one of you prescribed to flat no contours at all and it went gr8…

I’m not passing judgement, but just writing my own song, so to speak. Mine won’t resemble a fish in outline, rocker, nor fins. To me a twin has a wing around 11-11-1’2" up, right around the trailing edge of the fins. The fins will have generous base for speed and around 5-1/4’ - 5-1/2" deep, flat foiled innards (probably use RTM’s to reduce weight. Toe in might point to nose rather than an inch or so off. Slightly more to promote lead around on cutties?

Bottom? Maybe will play with slight vee in nose transitioning into a tri hull back to fins. or maybe just flat to very slight single concave thru mid section to vee at tail or single double thru fins… not really sure yet.

However, the one definite thing I will do is to have a flatter tail rocker with DEEP defined VEE at the swallow tail. All my early day twinnies were swallow wingers. Mostly single wing but some double, and even some double bumped for curviness. I did some very loose flyer type rail and foils. but also played with boxier versions. The deep vee with flipped up swallows went really well and the ‘spine’ was like a center fin. I should think a concave (spiral) vee off the tail would stick more if that’s what ya want??

Nuthin but nuthin turns shorter than a twin, and I can see folks havin’ a blast in tightly grouped, steep vertical windswell this summer.

Summer’s coming, at least in my neck 'o the woods… have fun.

[quote="$1"]

I suspect this is a different strokes for different folks subject. I just stumbled upon this thread because I've decided to play with twins again with summer just around the corner.

Like GL, mine will have V. I've seen a fairly new MR, and it didn't have any vee. I should think he should know, and one of you prescribed to flat no contours at all and it went gr8...

I'm not passing judgement, but just writing my own song, so to speak. Mine won't resemble a fish in outline, rocker, nor fins. To me a twin has a wing around 11-11-1'2" up, right around the trailing edge of the fins. The fins will have generous base for speed and around 5-1/4' - 5-1/2" deep, flat foiled innards (probably use RTM's to reduce weight. Toe in might point to nose rather than an inch or so off. Slightly more to promote lead around on cutties?

Bottom? Maybe will play with slight vee in nose transitioning into a tri hull back to fins.  or maybe just flat to very slight single concave thru mid section to vee at tail or single double thru fins...... not really sure yet.

However, the one definite thing I will do is to have a flatter tail rocker with DEEP defined VEE at the swallow tail. All my early day twinnies were swallow wingers. Mostly single wing but some double, and even some double bumped for curviness. I did some very loose flyer type rail and foils. but also played with boxier versions. The deep vee with flipped up swallows went really well and the 'spine' was like a center fin. I should think a concave (spiral) vee off the tail would stick more if that's what ya want??

Nuthin but nuthin turns shorter than a twin, and I can see folks havin' a blast in tightly grouped, steep vertical windswell this summer.

Summer's coming, at least in my neck 'o the woods.... have fun.

[/quote]

Robin, where should it start, and how deep is it at the tail?, considering i don't surf hawaiian size waves haha.

Also, with shaping V, does it start at the stringer, then fan out to the rail, like in the pic?

Hope im making sense

The vee should not “fan out.” If anything, I like it to start on the rail and fade in toward the stringer as you go tailward (the vee would be right side up instead of upside down, like you drew it in).

one thing you also have to consider is that adding vee changes/increases your rail rocker and leaves the stringer rocker. The opposite of adding concave to flatten rocker. If you look down the tail of an old school twinny you’ll see what looks like a flare in the tail rocker sometimes, which i figure is an attribute of the vee. I know that’s how it all turns out in my own stuff

I personally don’t like flat bottoms in the tail, or center of my boards. They feel flat through turns, and why I reckon everyone says fish feel flat or don’t do this or that. A little tweak can make a world of difference…