Dora Da Cat Fakes

It did. Friends of mine had Spoons a year or two before Da Cat was debuted.

This is essentially the story, as I know it.  Dora supposedly had been in contact with Yater about some kind of endorsement deal. Dora rode a borrowed Spoon that belonged to someone else, and after failing to reach an agreement with Yater he took the concept to Noll. I’m pretty sure the background story is in Noll’s book “Art of the Surfboard”.

very enlightening, Deadshaper…

and about " I’m pretty sure the background story is in Noll’s book “Art of the Surfboard”.

ran into Noll a few years ago, over lunch went through “The Art of the Surfboard”, which Drew Kampion and Greg’s wife had recently published together.

Greg had plenty story about the boards in that book - nothing, however, topped his stories of working with Dora on Da Cat - full blown arguments on step deck design, fin shape, etc…battle after battle…Yater must have smelled that one coming…LOL

Da Cats might have been Greg Knoll baby but who would  have been the shaper?

there were many shapers at GN’s, Wayne Land, Pat O’hare, but one I know said that as a beginner shaper, they put him on the Cats !

That’s why some of them look so different

**Me Too. **

**I remember reading both articles, but would like to go through them again. **

**It’s now nice to know that these types of fraud cases have president and will be prosecuted. That said, no reputable foam cutter, blank supplier, or shaper would take on such an endeavor, completely erasing the “easy to do by anyone” statement. **

**As far as Yater’s business w/ Dora, I agree with Bruce, heard it first hand more than once, that Renny wife said “no way” to going into business with Miki. Greg Noll’s version might vary I guess. Renny told me that he had made a few  for Dora, before Noll.**

**Thanks to the Detective for coming on here with those accounts. I hope (wish) they are true. Any verification? **

[quote="$1"]

[It’s now nice to know that these types of fraud cases have president and will be prosecuted. That said, no reputable foam cutter, blank supplier, or shaper would take on such an endeavor, completely erasing the “easy to do by anyone” statement.

[/quote]

That just seems incredibly naive to me but I appreciate your opinion.  We will just have to agree to disagree.

Funny I was thinking about the dates/timeline of the fraud case when it became public etc.  I saw one of the frauds hanging from the ceiling of a well known LA area surf shop.  The owner of the shop commented to me about it being one of the fakes.  Stating that he didn't think Noll knew he had it .  That was at least two years after the story broke.  He said that he thought it would eventually be worth more than a real ."Da Cat".

Here is the LA Times article.  http://articles.latimes.com/1995-07-05/news/ls-20298_1_backup-unit    The article done by the Daily News when we did the meet with GN and the victims isn't available in their archieves.

BTW, Greg's version is a little dramatic and loose with the facts in "The Art of the Surfboard."

Noll is a hell of a storyteller, that’s for sure. A “historian”? Maybe not.

Just read today in the BRA newsletter, that the board to replicate at the Shape Off, happening at the Jan. Florida Surf Expo, is a GN Cat. Curious who are shapers participating.

Would love to see that. Should be interesting since there was so much variation in the ones that were shaped in the 60's.  The ones Channin did in 90's were CNC'ed so they were consistent.  Maybe they'll use one of Tony's to copy.  Before Noll started the "retros" and began his publicity campaign;  I saw two identical clear Da Cats in Oneill's Shop in Capitola.  In the rack for sale at a reasonable price.  I don't know maybe around 1989 0r 1990.  I can't remember.  But definitly years before all the hub-bub,  autograph signing, re-issues and books.  Both were hand shaped by Ryhn Noll,  Greg's older son from Crescent City. 

That just seems incredibly naive to me but I appreciate your opinion.  We will just have to agree to disagree.

Let’s put it this way, Now we
know and can say that you’ll probably get a pounding one way or another. Financially,
legally, or morally. Take your pick

One thing I’ve hear over the years regarding a Da Cat’s stepdeck is that the unique design that they used at Noll’s was due to Greg having his own foam company.  The first few Da Cat prototypes snapped in two due to the foam blanks.  The design was to strengthen the board.

The Yater article in The Journal a few years back talks about the Spoon and Dora’s involvement.  THe first one was given to him during the Summer to test at Malibu, as there are not a lot of waves in Santa Barbara that time of year.

He’s selling everything:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GREG-NOLL-surfboards-web-site-sale-once-life-time-opportunit-/390362589522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae36c6952#ht_500wt_1125

Sell the kids and the wife…

I know another Dora story(first hand) but won't risk Sammy and others jumping down my throat.

$800,000…?   Maybe he’s hoping Mark Zuckerberg is a closet Noll-a-holic…

Yeah if you appraised everything he has in his posession Greg Noll etc. al. including all other memorabilia he would have spent and would have in his posession $100,000 worth of stuff max.

You can't sell a retail business and expect anywhere near retail price for the merchandise - what would be the point?