Down Memory Lane..........

Yesterday, I went to an event @ The California Surf Museum, honoring Peter Cole. It has been close to forty years since I’ve seen Peter, and surfed with him. When I got the call, inviting me to the event, I told them I was sure Peter would not remember me. A long time friend, Carl Knox, was there. Carl surfed with Simmons the morning he died @ WindanSea. Woody Ekstrom was there too. Both of them early WindanSea Crew. I was surprised that when I approached Peter, he readily remembered me from the NS, '60’s and '70’s. Really a good trip down memory lane. People with those shared experiences, are few and far between. So it’s always nice to talk to someone that had been there/done that.

Very cool! 50 years ago - you must have left an impression!

Other than what’s happening this very second, it’s all memories & stories anyway. Heck, we wouldn’t even be able to surf without muscle memory.

I think it would be cool to hear more memories of times past, before the leash, no (or primitive) wetsuits, before the crowds, the old school crew of colorful characters.

Surfing, and surfboard making, has a colorful history. I would venture to say that most the young kids in the lineup today have very little understanding of that history.

nice,love those moments in time…what we live for.

During my tenure on the N.S., Mr. Cole at Sunset was a sight to behold. It was easy to get out of position there. He was the best line-up there was. If you saw him even checking the surf it meant it was probably about to get pretty good. That told me to drop everything (if possible) and paddle out. All you had to do was be near him in the water and sooner or later you would score real deal Sunset waves. Sure thing. Plus he was/is Aloha. A true gentleman. All the respect in the world for that man.
Herb! Howzit? Long time. Hope things are well with you. Is that an ED Roth shirt?? Classic stuff Bud. Onya.
And, Aloha to you Mr. T.

ps. Balsa’s quote by Huck is spot on. I can only amend it by saying the times when a swell pops and you paddle out. Then, with no previous communication, old friends begin to show as well and it turns into a session like when you were kids. True Magic.

Your memory lane is always a pleasure to walk down.

*****heading to work,right now,be back here tomorrow.

Thats very cool, Bill. Hey Herb! Mike

a little fishing of a different nature is always in order.

fresh fish

Herb, if you are pulling trout like that out, then you’ve got a real honey hole going. Oddly it looks like a municipal park with a pond built in. That must be the ol’ granddaddy.
Nice haul!

Nice fish(es)!