DRAGON SKIN

I KEEP HEARING ABOUT THIS STUFF BUT I NEVER SEE LOCAL SHAPERS USING IT AND ITS NOT FOR SALE IN SAN DIEGO, JIM ANY OPINIONS? DO YOU JUST USE A PIECE OF 1" FOAM OVER A SANDING SCREEN FOR THAT AREA BETWEEN DECK AND RAIL TO SMOOTH?

I can get it for you, but the stuff is brutal! I used to use it for the bottom band on shortboards. When it is still fresh, it makes scratches so deep that it is nearly impossible to get out! It is a strip if metal with small perferations through it, hence the name dragon screen. A surform or coarse sanding block will work the bands as well if the planer is still tough to use. When I blend the deck flats out to the rail curves, I first make sure my planer work is the way I want it, then I sand. When I am satisfied with the rough sand, I finish of with a piece of sponge with 1/8" felt glued to it (the felt keeps the screen from slipping). I use #120 and 220 to finish off and drag the rails with my 120, just up and back one time. This is where I see too many inexperienced shapers make the fatal mistake of relying on shaping the rail with just a sheet of sand paper or heavy screen

I can get it for you, but the stuff is brutal! I used to use it for the > bottom band on shortboards. When it is still fresh, it makes scratches so > deep that it is nearly impossible to get out! It is a strip if metal with > small perferations through it, hence the name dragon screen. A surform or > coarse sanding block will work the bands as well if the planer is still > tough to use. When I blend the deck flats out to the rail curves, I first > make sure my planer work is the way I want it, then I sand. When I am > satisfied with the rough sand, I finish of with a piece of sponge with > 1/8" felt glued to it (the felt keeps the screen from slipping). I > use #120 and 220 to finish off and drag the rails with my 120, just up and > back one time. This is where I see too many inexperienced shapers make the > fatal mistake of relying on shaping the rail with just a sheet of sand > paper or heavy screen As Jim said, Dragon Skin does some serious gouging. It’s like a bendable cheese grater. It seems to work when you want to remove a great deal of foam. If you want to take a look at it, it’s sold in some home improvement stores (like OSH in CA) in either the dry wall or sand paper sections.

I KEEP HEARING ABOUT THIS STUFF BUT I NEVER SEE LOCAL SHAPERS USING IT AND > ITS NOT FOR SALE IN SAN DIEGO, JIM ANY OPINIONS? DO YOU JUST USE A PIECE > OF 1" FOAM OVER A SANDING SCREEN FOR THAT AREA BETWEEN DECK AND RAIL > TO SMOOTH? A piece of 40 grit, folded in half, top to bottom, and glued with some tacky works way better. The fold and the glue make it so that it will conform to a rail plus it will stay in your hand. It’s cheaper than dragon skin and way easier to use. Spence

A piece of 40 grit, folded in half, top to bottom, and glued with some > tacky works way better. The fold and the glue make it so that it will > conform to a rail plus it will stay in your hand. It’s cheaper than dragon > skin and way easier to use.>>> Spence Yes, Spence that’s what I have been using for the last 40 years. I fold the piece of #40 into a three fold and secure with tacky. The grit on each side gives traction for your hand and the added stiffness lets it span over lows and knocks off the top of high spots. Once a piece gets broken in right it it priceless.