Drinking the Cool Aide....San Diego Style

Definitely a good time watching you guys glass that board up. I don’t know if it’s me or only ever glassing with poly, but these guys used every drop of that 30 ounces, and left nothing to waste. It blew my mind! Took a lot away from the experience for this next epoxy job for sure.

Hey Stingray,
How do you deal with the stringer when routing out your finbox? It seems to me you are gonna use a bit with the bearing riding along the jig. I do the same but I can’t eliminate the stringer with the bit at full depth or it splinters. but can’t shorten the cutting depth because then the bearing won’t have a guide. How do you approach this situation? Cool board!

We added a PeteC vent…
Capt’n Surf is going to help me glass another big board this weekend… and take his new Cool Aide board home…needs final sanding.
Stoked!

KD, with epoxy at about $.50 an oz, being miserly with it is important. I’ve watched some of the best epoxy laminators do a longboard with only a couple of drops hitting the tray. I’ll bet your guys there were pretty good too. After a doing a bunch of boards, it becomes a matter of honor to use as little as possible and see the fewest drops hit the tray. If you mix too little with epoxy, you can just add a bit more to the same pot and keep going. I just did 6 sides yesterday with the same bucket. You can freeze your brush in between top and bottom fill coats for additional savings. If you mix too much, for gods sake don’t tell any fellow laminators. Ha. Just wet out some spare cloth and roll it up in peel ply and freeze it for future ding repairs. Thanks to John M, I think, or maybe Keith, for that brilliant tip.
All the best

always fun to do a collab!

All done. Rattle can pin lines. Spray Max 2 part gloss rattle can wet sanded to 1500.

can handle

Dude … We need to work on your photo quality. You went from Hero to Zero on the last posts…
The board is awesome…shape , color, everything! Need real nice photos…

My hat is off to Keith and Jay for whittling that thick slab cut blank down to that beautiful foil. Nothing like cutting an outline and looking at 4" of rail out at the very edge with zero deck roll in place! This sort of experience adds a whole new level of appreciation for a ‘close tolerance’ blank. Well done!

The surfboard has been named the Purple People Eater…aka…PPE… need better photos!
Sorry no photos today…Stingray and Captn Surf ordered 2 more blanks… 8-6EA and 9-5M… for more boards like this one…

I’m jealous of you guys. Great thread. This is exactly what it has been all about for me since the beginning. Hanging with some pals having good clean fun. In or out of the water. Never really needed it to be any more than that. Good fun. Ony’all.

Use a shorter bit Surfer 0.

Cheers.

Great thread.

Getting started

Fabric inlay?