Drive Thru Shaping Room

Well…almost done.

Got the shaping room framed and almost ready to go! It’s a little smaller than I originally wanted, but the city of Long Beach would not let me go larger than 120 sqft without a full footing poured and tied. Anyway, its 9x14x14 and not too bad. I went with 6" shelves over the lights so I have enough room to move. I wanted to keep as much head space as possible, so I really appreciate the input from Barry Snyder (www.barrysnyderdesigns.com.) regarding the vacuum exhaust and floor sweep! The thing works awesome and now know once you go vac you never go back. Also, kudos to Cole Simler (www.colesurfboards.com)for all the encouragement to get back into shaping and glassing after 10 years.

Pulled out the Skils and P20 and got to mowing some foam for my daughter last night and had a ton of fun with her. Anyway, still some work to get the glassing room and the sanding room finished. I’ve attached some pictures of the work in progress.

Still need:

• Walls painted
  • Air compressor lines hooked up
  • Overhead rack installed

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for all everyone’s help!

Dave Jorgenson

Professional set up and something to be proud of. Looks sweet and functional
Will you be glassing in there also?

Well done, Dave!  You will not be needing those lights I have?  Wish you were still up here!

I am very jealous.  Nice job

Killer!!! 

Im planning my new set up at the moment and took a few notes! 

Hi John

Would still need some lights for the sanding room if they are available. Coming up coast the week of the 14th and heading up highway 1 to big sur and back.   Also, the long term plan is to move back home someday.  Just need to see if I can get work up there. 

Thanks a lot for the kind words. I’ve built a few rooms in the past, but this is set up how I wonted it.  The detached garage next door is going to be the lamination room with a separate sanding bay.  Can’t wait to be all in-house 

That’s my dream setup right there. Really nice. One suggestion, but it might already be there: air conditioner. Is that aluminum or the foil insulation?

Dave,

This is epic and well done. Shelving and vac setup is brilliant. Love the high cieling type shack for board storage above. I am about to move back to the U.S. from Japan and am planning something very similar to your setup. Mind if I PM you for more details? Stoked on your setup!

Sure anytime!

Hi Dave,

You might want to check with CalTrans before you leave John’s place. Hwy 1 is till closed at the Mud Creek area near Big Sur from the rockslides a couple years ago. KSBY news reported 2day that construction is ahead of schedule, but it won’t be opening until the end of July.

Good to know.  Most likely only going up near Plasket

I really want an a/c unit but I’m a little short on power (20amps). Lucky it does not get too hot here. Also I used OSB TechShield Radiant Barrier and then added  roll insulation under the Soundboard. Still need to finish the upper “half”.

Hi Dave - 

If visiting Plaskett, be prepared to go around one of the longer routes.  Direct route from the south on Hwy 1 is definitely shut down.  I was just up by Ragged Point yesterday.

Its a glitch of the site here that you can post pics up to 20 MB, but most pics in the MB range will be distorted in the post, usually showing up sideways or upside-down.  All the pics in the orignial post show up sideways for me.  So I am reposting the pictures here, after having shrunk the files using MS Paint, just to show the difference for anyone else who is experiencing the same thing.

I know that the site owner has said he will correct the glitch, and I look forward to that, cuz in the meantime I’m like…

When you post up, you can see the file size of the pics before you hit “save” - if you keep your files in the KB size there doesn’t seem to be any problems with posting sideways or upside down.

Thanks!

Looks great.  My only suggestion would be to have wider shelve boards above your side lights or tuck the light fictures further up.  You want most of your light going sideways rather than upwards.

I agree.  I’m going to try ripping egg create diffuser material  and attach under the light shelf to direct the light.