driving while (wearing) black

Hello…Still kinda chilly here in SF Bay area; warming up to the idea (sorry about that) of wearing my 4/3 wetsuit and rashguard on the 45 minute drive to the beach…south of San Francisco. Any nor-cal enthusiasts tried this ? I’ve never seen anyone arrive at the beach as such; have they died in the attempt ?

Try it and see .

If you surf of the east coast in the winter - that is the go to move. And if you live close enough to the beach you just say in your suit until you get home and I to a hot shower.

Where are you driving from and where to? This time of year in Santa Cruz most folks are wearing 4/3. Some feel the need for hoods and/or booties. Water is a little colder closer to SF. Personally, I don’t like to drive while wearing wetsuit (especially after surf) and not sure why you would want to, but…it’s not illegal.

How do you keep from getting saltwater all over the car seat ? And the drainage from your legs.

All the best

Driving from Berkeley, across the bay bridge, which may turn to bumper2bumper jam. Odd, but taking off rubber attire in the cold, after a session, is not a big deal. Just getting into it, from nice warm clothes,…it’s cold…the surf usually sucks…people walking by in parkers… I remember surfing winter waves on Long Island (NY)in ‘65; frozen ice/snow on the beach…but we’re not crazy 18 anymore. Still crazy, but slowin’ down. Anyways…we’ll see what the waves look like and the beach temp; jeez…i’m still amazed at the technology we have.

Back when i did/could still do the NorthEast winter surfing thing, I would sit on a large tarp folded to fit the seat and a bit beyond, which was on a towell on the seat. Putting on a wet wetsuit would be done at home in the hot shower, drive sitting on the tarp on a towell with good floor mats, and Post surf Would be glove removal then key in door, board loaded in vehicle and drive back to hot shower, maybe with one glove still on.

Its all about the newish folded tarp, The towell underneath it was usually still dry.

Often on the dawn patrol, I will put on my suit at home.

Because, why not?

I am only 10 minutes from the beach but if you include checking a few different spots, 45 minutes is not unheard of.

I find it helps motivate in subpar conditions too. Get to the beach and its less than perfect? I’m still paddling out.

…what are exactly that technology that you are talking? Wetsuits are the same shitty thing with better marketing and higher prices (outside USA)

I drive hone from surfing all the time in my wet suit. Put a towel on the seat. It’s just my old pick up truck though. The thing is held together my sand and dog hair. Mike

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271985/Stony-Point-Winter-surfers-brave-negative-temperatures-catch-perfect-Minnesota-wave-peak-season.html
You were saying something about being cold?

I’ve been thinking of trying this, maybe tomorrow. Gonna be like 20 something but hopefully fun leftovers if the northish wind doesn’t spoil it. I always wanted to try driving home but it’s a 45 minute trip and I feel like that’d get uncomfortable.

Also lol at 4/3 weather being chilly.

OK…tomorrow the tide will be too high, probably mostly close-outs, but we can’t stop now ! Might even get ‘high fives’ from S.F.'s “Rubber Community” as we heat up the freeway.
Stay warm
Stay moist
Live the life you love

I consider that to be bad luck! Inevitably if I suit up without looking, the surf is crappy. Strange but true.