Early 40's Redwood and Balsa Board?

I’ll have to reweigh it to be sure. But when I had it shipped from Hawaii, the stated freight weight was 108lbs including packing. I estimate there was about 8-10lbs of packing around it. I’ll try to weigh it and post some more pictures this afternoon.

I’m going to try to reweigh it today an post some more pictures. But it was 108lbs with packing when I shipped it from Hawaii. And you are absolutely right. There doesn’t appear to be any cloth, but the resin that was applied to “preserve” the board (kinda heartbreaking, but it is what it is), is extremely thick.

I pulled out the board again, weighed it, and took more pictures. I previously stated it weighed just under 100lbs based on the freight packing slip that had it at 108lbs with packing. But I found that it is 81lbs when I weighed it myself.

As to getting better pictures, that is very difficult. For example, the color of the redwood comes out fairly accurate, but the balsa looks almost white in the photos. But it is closer to a honey/gold, like a rabid smoker’s fingernails. Also, I tried and tried to get a photo that accurately reflects the rails but for whatever reason it just doesn’t come through in the photos. I tried to get photos of the skeg, wood grain (showing old growth redwood), the tool marks on the wood, wear and tear, and repairs.

A few more

Here’s are the last ones

I pulled the board out today and took some more pictures. I closely inspected the area of the deck where the board would plane out if you were knee paddling. There is some crushing of the balsa, but not the kind of worn groove I would have expected from long-term knee paddling. See the pictures below. The area right behind the inlaid arrow. The second picture would be roughly where the left knee would be and the third picture is roughly where the right knee would be.

And right about that time:
https://vimeo.com/251021513?ref=fb-share&1

I think the most interesting question hasn’t been asked: how’s it ride? :slight_smile:

From close up look at the redwood nose block, the jointery very loose and sloppy, while the length wise gluing is very tight.
The original balsa and narrow center stringers snapped off and the redwood was added.
The balsa could have been from a liberty ship life raft or was patched several times in it’s life time.
These boards were ready to be fire wood before I breathed new life into them

Love to hear the back story on that.
This thread has me very stoked, thanks.

The design would be early 30’s Waikiki . I have a set of old plans from Diamond Head Surf Club (dated 1931)…these boards had no fin .

True. It was clear upon close examination, that the fin and it’s associated attachment method, was added at a later date after original construction.