Early 40's Redwood and Balsa Board?

I picked up this board in Hawaii about a year ago (2016). The only information the owner had was that it came out of an estate of a guy who was originally from Oregon. The owner told me it was pulled out of the weeds, cleaned up, and “preserved” a few years ago by glassing it. The redwood is in decent good condition with some bumps and bruises but no noticeable rot or infestation. The balsa had some minor surface rot and patching together.

The fin box and fin struck me as unusual. The fin is held in the box with sheet metal and older style flat-head screws through the sheet metal. That made me think early 40’s, but I have no idea and haven’t been able to find any other information on it. Total weight is just under 100#'s.

What do you guys think? Any information about the board, it’s origin, age, value, etc. is very much appreciated.

If it’s really from the 40s it never should have been glassed. But I suspect it’s a reproduction and not very old at all.

Thanks for the feedback. You mention you think it might be a replica. Do you know who did/does this type of replica? The board is in San Diego. Does anybody have a recommendation for someone in the area with expertise in evaluating a board like this?

I’m in the San Diego area. I’ll take a look at it for you.

There ya go. Really hard to tell the true origin and condition with just a couple of photos. If anyone will be able to assess this board, it’s Bill T.
He’s almost as old as the board :wink:

And buy’m some lunch. It’ll be a treat. Mike

https://www.swaylocks.com/sites/default/files/IMG_4243.JPG

https://www.swaylocks.com/sites/default/files/IMG_4241_0.JPG

The above two pictures scream modern replica…

Well, I had a chance to inspect the board this afternoon, Jan. 13, 2018. Without a doubt, IT IS THE REAL DEAL. Most likely a Pacific Homes board. But could also be a custom board of the period. Could be a Pete Peterson board. No way to really know. The SKEG, (a period correct term) is attached in a unique, but period correct way. Numerous repairs, all done in the period correct style and quality. As I said above, it is the real deal.

Bill, would you mind commenting on the fin installation and foil? Much appreciated.

The ‘‘foil’’ of the fin, is little more than a rounded leading edge, and a sharpened trailing edge. Even Bob Simmons considered such treatment, adequate for surfing purposes, for the fins on his boards. The fin appears to be Maple, probably 7/8ths inch thick, screw mounted on a 1 inch wide, 1/8th inch thick metal strap, which is then flush screw mounted into a chiseled recess into the bottom of the board. Actually quite clean, and high tech, for the late 30’s early 40’s time period. The metal strap appears to be a common construction element, available at any lumber yard, even to this day. The strap has offset countersunk screw holes, so that in use the screws would not be in the same grain line, possibly causing a split. A display of a surfer ‘‘re-purposing’’ common building materials, for use on a surfboard, in a way that was never intended. Does this help?

Thank you kindly, Bill.
From the fin image, I thought that the foil towards the trailing edge might have been more pronounce than ‘expected’. Interesting fin system.
Still so much to learn about all the modifications/improvements/changes that were made to boards at various stages. Especially on wood boards, this gets me fired up.
Thanks again.

Bill, do you think it would be worth it, and improve the boards value if the modern finish was sanded off and the board restored to its original construction?

Thanks to all of you for your input, especially Bill. What a generous guy to take time out of his Saturday to stop by, look at the board and give me a real education on wood plank construction and history. It was a real pleasure meeting Bill and soaking in the amazing amount of experience and history he has. I could listen to him talk about surfboard design and evolution for hours.

I also learned that I really need to learn how to take better pictures. This beast is harder than most to photograph because of it’s bulk and weight and the wood color. It’s kinda like a mature Hollywood actress. Looks too good to be real in photos, but when you see it in real life, the wear, tear, and repair are apparent.

I am still hopeful that I will be able to establish the provenance of this board. Bill was very helpful with leads on who may have made the board. Hopefully the modifications and repairs are recognizable enough that someone out there will eventually recognize “grandpa’s” old board and be able to give the history of the board.

Thanks again for everyone’s input.

That, is a difficult question to answer. In an auction environment, an original finish may bring more interest, but not necessarily a higher price. I know that I would not want to undertake a project like that. I’d be afraid to do more harm than good. I think the original restoration SHOULD have been done in Spar Varnish, but it was not. The board is what it is. Just another chapter in what has probably been an interesting life. If it were an unrestored ‘‘barn find’’ in a similar condition, with a provenance associating it with someone well known, the sky’s the limit, as the expression goes. As it is, I found it to be extremely interesting, especially as it relates to the attachment method of the fin. Well thought out, and well executed.

Is the deck chrushed from knee paddling?
Resembles Pacific Homes, however no fins then.
Balsa looks fresh, humm someone’s folly???

100 lbs, wow!
great find, so awesome, looking forward to more pics. A piece of history!

Agreed on the photos. As shown in your pics it looks too clean to be old. But, as I already said it’s the kind of thing that would need an in person assessment to know for sure. If Bill says it’s legit you can bank on it.

More photos would be most welcome! At 100lbs, I apologize in advance for any extra wear and tear on your back…

SHACC has many boards of that era including several Pacific Systems boards and very few reach 100 lbs.
Most of the Pacific System boards are around 45-70 lb. We have one with a similar glue up that is only 40lbs.
That glass job is extra heavy duty…

The balsa deck has some damage and repairs but is not crushed. As to the fin, it appears to be a period modification. see Bill’s comment above.