Ecological Footprint - cool thing look at

Quote:

My life in SF was <2 planets, My current life over 5. It doesn’t really feel that different.

Egads! I tried taking the test multiple times during slack times over the weekend… my high end was 7.1 and that was probably an entry error playing with variables. So in the clear light of sunset with fog…I just took it 6 times with some variations, and here’s what I got.

5.3 based on surfing once a week, 10 hours flight time, over 200 miles in a car, and eating meat “very often”.

4.4 with no surfing, no airplanes, 10-100 miles in a car per week.

3.6 reducing meat to 1-2 times per week, changing to local food to 3/4 of time, and getting a new car with 35-50 mpg.

Changing my age down 2 decades to 30 made virtually no difference across the board.

I can’t “pass” (at 4.5 planets) at all if I surf even once a week, unless perhaps I go vegan.

Motorbike and surfboard= death, which has a nice low planet impact.

There is no viable public transportation where I live.

Based on this I would have to say my initial misgivings about the whole thing seem valid. To go low impact (50% below the sustainable levels) I would have to go completely vegetarian with locally grown produce, buy a new car and try not to use it, and move to a beachside city…and all that is $$$$, not to mention the impact of mass migration to create dense coastal populations.

To live even the most basic active (3 surfs a week) surfing life with travel even including living on the beach - and make it at or below the 4.5 planet sustainable level- is impossible unless you are a vegetarian trustafarian rich kid living on the beach and you only surf within walking or bicycle distance of surf and everything else. That is a recipe for stunted human growth, but probably for a good “green” consumer.

Yes, the test is shot full of holes (no gas mpg options for just one example), but still an incredibly interesting mental exercise.

i remember my biology class last year discussing this website but i never actually took the survey until just now. i got 4.2 planets. over the past couple of months i’ve been trying to be more aware of what happens environmentally and i’m sure i’m going to be even more intune now. it really makes you realize your impact once you input all your own personal statistics instead of hearing and reading about the general public.

Quote:

Any diesel engine can burn ASTM-certified diesel fuel which happens to be made from soy-, corn-, rapeseed- or canola-oil. Its sold in percentages from 5% biofuel (B5) to 20% (B20 - like at Willie Nelson’s stops) to B99. I’ve been burning B99 in my truck for 10 months without a hiccup. My mileage is better, my engine will last longer, I’m independent of foreign oil (and wars), and I make no particulate exhaust. If I go on the road, I can still put in dino diesel without any penalty (except mileage & conscience).

Any diesel engine will burn it, but I’ve heard older diesel cars will need to replace their fuel lines. I think if they are rubber, biodiesel will eat right through it. Also, older cars have a lot of crap built up in the tank which the biodiesel will clean out but will end up clogging fuel filters, so keeping an extra in the car with the tools to replace is probably a good idea when someone makes the switch.

I got 3.3 planets, and I’d probably be worse if I wasn’t living like a bum to save money for a house/wedding.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 6.2 PLANETS.

Ha…Consumer Whore at its finest.

Everytime I leave the country I can’t wait to come back…I’m very aware of what I have here and appreciate it.

-B~

Embarassing!! I got a 5.2… I bet they’d throw in a couple-planet penalty if they knew I built surfboards for a living. Especially if they got to peek at my dumpster full of EPS. Anybody out there really recycling their scrap???

Quote:

The notion of living where you work in the U.S. is nearly nostalgic…certainly for those who surf but also are planted in the real world (non-surf industry). It takes a lot of money to live what was formerly known as a “middle class” existence on or near the beach, and that kind of money is seldom earned near the beach.

Nels, I hear your frustration. I think that this is very on topic for a surf design forum, because it raises the question of how do you surf, shape, and live a low impact life all at the same time without a trust fund.

I live on a property that was originally a one family home. Now it has 3 units. The front house where I live is myself and three other housemates. We all get along great, and this has honestly been the best living situation I’ve ever found. In the 2nd unit are another couple friends, and the 3rd is a maried couple with a new baby. We’re walking distance to the beach, and work locally. Jobs on this side of the hill as opposed to San Jose pay less. But because we don’t have that traditional “middle class” ideal of a single family home in suburbia with lawn and white picket fence, we are able to live and work near the ocean we love.

Now as far as shaping, that gets tricky. One of the reasons my 1st board was wooden, was that I shape/build in the front yard. Don’t want eps beads flying into the ocean several blocks away. But if you had even a small shed on the property it would be very feasable.

One other question that might come up is, yes, we are rent. But I know people in this town who have tenency in common - two couples going in together to buy a small 2 bedroom home makes it much more affordable. You still have a housemate situation, but if you want to live here and own a home you need to be creative.

Pat

You’re right, kj, but all diesels since about '95 have been made with synthetic fuel lines that will be just fine. That provides quite a few choices. Generally, its wise to change the fuel filter after about your first 1000 miles on bio to get rid of the sludge it dislodged. Its a great solvent - so good that its even recommended to wipe off any drips from around your filler pipe because it can eat off your paint! The only other problem is that it starts to gel around 40*f, so if you live in a place with overnight temps there or lower, its a good idea to run no higher a blend than B80, and in places like Tahoe, Colorado, Montreal, no more than B50.

Quote:

I live on a property that was originally a one family home. Now it has 3 units. The front house where I live is myself and three other housemates. We all get along great, and this has honestly been the best living situation I’ve ever found. In the 2nd unit are another couple friends, and the 3rd is a maried couple with a new baby. We’re walking distance to the beach, and work locally. Jobs on this side of the hill as opposed to San Jose pay less. But because we don’t have that traditional “middle class” ideal of a single family home in suburbia with lawn and white picket fence, we are able to live and work near the ocean we love.

Well, I’m just past 51 and married…I have no intention of going back to roommates, and the thrill of the common wall/floor/ceiling was ruined for me in the 1970’s. People don’t seem to have nearly as much fun now as we did back then, but I suspect rampant technology makes what fun and action people do have louder…:wink:

I can readily see that “the future” is going to be high density housing, but barring some nasty revolution or catastrophe that particular future is 10-30 years off…moving at the speed of business/politics. What is happening now in this regard for new home building is smaller footprint single family homes with apartment/condos for the higher density requirements - and really that is just sop to fulfill low income housing requirements. What seems to be on the drawing boards is relentless living units above commerical storefronts…thereby giving the cities both property and commercial tax revenues. That’s some quaint 19th century agrigarian/community center fantasy…my guess is that is more of a recipe for a quick decay urban slum.

In the meantime what we see in some circumstances are high density houses where someone rents it or owns it and rents out every avaliable space including putting several people in the garage and others in various situations in yards. That was fun in surf ghettos and “the county”, but in more orderly neighborhoods that creates problems beyond belief. Yes, I wonder how much of that I was a participant in when younger…maybe we just didn’t notice or know. Because Southern California has so little viable public transportation- this goes triple for those who surf- people have to have their own. For my own little example, in two houses across the street from me there frequently are 14 vehicles parked out there on Sunday morning, with one being a bobtail truck and another a smallish dump truck. No visibility, high density pollution from runoff, and I can’t imagine the insides of the places.

Quote:

if you want to live here and own a home you need to be creative.

I have been to Santa Cruz a few times…lovely town. Now imagine if everybody in the region who visits to use the ocean for various forms of recreation has to move there. Say the city has to do something to accomodate them. What is that going to look like? What is that life going to be like?

And the big question…how do we get there from where we are now?

Dang Nels, do you see the glass half empty or what? Just kidding. It does sound like you’re trying.

How about this-

Buy a 30 year old sailboat, live in Channel Islands Harbor, set up some photovoltaic panels and a wind generator (get off the grid man!), sail offshore each day (sail…don’t use the motor…did Columbus need a motor to sail to the New World?) to catch some fish, eat produce grown right there in Ventura, get a job at Patagonia (right there in Ventura), go there on your bike.

One planet! It’s possible. And you’ll be biking distance to some good surf to boot!

Quote:

Dang Nels, do you see the glass half empty or what? Just kidding. It does sound like you’re trying.

I see the glass with water in it, or something…always sniff it before you drink I always say. Of course, it’s what you can’t see or smell that gets ya!

Quote:

How about this-

Buy a 30 year old sailboat, live in Channel Islands Harbor, set up some photovoltaic panels and a wind generator (get off the grid man!), sail offshore each day (sail…don’t use the motor…did Columbus need a motor to sail to the New World?) to catch some fish, eat produce grown right there in Ventura, get a job at Patagonia (right there in Ventura), go there on your bike.

One planet! It’s possible

Well, yes it is just like you outlined it. Don’t think I haven’t looked real close at that style of life. There are, of course, drawbacks there as well…small boat owners are under constant attack by marina operators who want the space to go to much more lucrative large boats, eating fish has its own risks, and riding a bike up Harbor Blvd to Patagonia with the other commuters and then back again once the construction workers start drinking heavily in the afternoon is a regular fright. Still, it could be done…

But only by a few. A very select few, who make the choice early enough or have good enough fortune to get in. But then the question is what about the other 95% of ocean-oriented people for whom there is no room in that scenario? Doesn’t that once again leave them with the “get rich to buy in” option? Finite capacity! And one of the things I most want to avoid in life is finding myself neck deep in NIMBY hypocracy…any more than necessary. Are we supposed to leave the rest out there in some kind of psychically constipated lifestyle gridlock, waiting for a slot to open up? And wouldn’t that just encourage the more extreme among them to maybe encourage us along to the big compost bin? And that would provide clandestine economic motive for many of the less honest and more agressive. Giant surf industry corporations could offer soft good, hard goods, music, travel, and over-49 asassination services as part of a package virtually ensuring brand loyalty for life!

A solution available only to a few will not be significant. Should we not also be concerned with solutions for the majority? But just because I think the world has gone insane doesn’t mean I’m totally right or even in the ballpark.This is a great intellectual exercise, picking things apart, rebuilding them, and picking them apart again. These are among the great human issues of our times and probably for decades to come. It’s a good time to study urban planning and related fields.

Hey Nels,

Haha…interesting you say:

Quote:

In the meantime what we see in some circumstances are high density houses where someone rents it or owns it and rents out every avaliable space including putting several people in the garage and others in various situations in yards.

I had a friend that lived in San Francisco and he had a roomate that lived in the closet! The freaking closet for crisakes! and it wasn’t a fancy walk in closet, it was your run of the mill closet (just for coats and pants). He had a single bed in there that fit exactly inside the closet and he couldn’t even get up without opening the closet door. Hell, it wasn’t legal but the owners were crazy and wanted to make a buck or something.

Cheers,

Rio

Quote:

How about this-

One planet! It’s possible. And you’ll be biking distance to some good surf to boot!

Now you are talking. . … just make it big enough to include a composting toilet and a micro mushroom house/beansproutery !

:slight_smile:

Quote:

I have been to Santa Cruz a few times…lovely town. Now imagine if everybody in the region who visits to use the ocean for various forms of recreation has to move there. Say the city has to do something to accomodate them. What is that going to look like? What is that life going to be like?

And the big question…how do we get there from where we are now?

Nels,

You are asking the right questions, they’re the same ones I and my friends struggle with. I also really agree with your statement that we should be finding solutions for the majority, not the individual.

About how Santa Cruz would react to an influx of several thousand people, I have no idea. I still consider myself very much a new addition to this community. I do know that I have met lots of people here who are interested in that future that will work for the majority, and not escapism. Higher density, definitely. How to do that without creating an urban/suburban slum, and keep a strong sense of community, I’m not sure. All I know for sure is that if you keep spreading ideas you will increase the number of people who care to listen to potential solutions. It wasn’t that long ago that my ‘perfect life’ scenario would have included a chevy tahoe, a McMansion, and a second home. Now I’m looking for a community that looks forward. That happened because of the Ideas. Look at me, one less person in a hummer.

Pat

Everytime I have tried to do the test it just stalls and fails to load. Though I think that this might be a good thing… my friends and I have to drive 500kms to do weekend surf trips to the east coast; … and then back! I would probably be bummed if I saw how many earths I am using.

It is very troubling to think of what obstacles or hurdles are need to cross before you can get to a more green lifestyle. I have lots of ideas that I have researched, on building myself a modest house and to have it and my lifestyle be as ‘off the grid’ as possible. One of the big problems; along the lines of Nels; is the cost of it. Even here in my home province, it would considerably more expensive than it would have been only 10 or 12 years ago. And to go to the west coast say? The financial outlay would be huge.

It really does require a sizable investment in money as well as time, meanwhile we have to keep getting food on the table and paying the rent… and hopefully go surf sometimes. I might be thinking a little negatively about it, I am sure there is a way to work it out. I will certainly not stop trying.

I wonder, Benny, if biodiesel would run in an oil furnace? (for those northerners like me) Not the stuff from the corner stations, but imagine a country home with a small field of soy or canola that could provide enough heating oil for the winter… be fun to work out the calculations.

I am also concerned that one big thing that all of us will have to gird ourselves for individualy, and hopefully to make the changes for as a society,(smoothly) is the fact that capitalilsm is NOT sustainable. That the current system, and the first industrial revolution which has given us the world we live in now, will have to be … either radically altered or abandoned completely in favor of something else.

I am am not talking about a ‘back to the land’, where everyone can live a pastoral 19th century existance or something… that could not happen without a huge reduction in the world population. Something I would not like to see, and certainly wouldn’t volunteer for. I guess it would really be a change in the thinking and the drives behind us and our civilization; especially the ‘progress’, productivity and profit(greed) memes that much of western society is based on.

Life is change.

We certainly live in interesting times; don’t we?

Johan - the test has been balky for me to load too…give it plenty of time with your cursor over North America I guess (can’t remember if Canada was on there but I think so)…it may still pop up eventually, then you choose the language and continue.

Legal off the grid living is nearly impossible along the lower west coast of the U.S. due to zoning restrictions. Even use of septic systems is under review due to pollution concerns (think Rincon). To convert existing houses or build new with minimal grid usage will cost greatly without adding significant value to the property, and this option is obviously not even available to people who don’t own…it’s a philosophical choice, that while certainly valid, is financially viable only for those with wealth.

Where off-grid living is allowed down here is inland in places with low population density and more available affordable land and usually less water…and where grid services are either not available or affordable…and those areas have commesurate drops in local income. If you want to surf, travel suffers a dramatic increase.

Quote:

I wonder, Benny, if biodiesel would run in an oil furnace? (for those northerners like me) Not the stuff from the corner stations, but imagine a country home with a small field of soy or canola that could provide enough heating oil for the winter… be fun to work out the calculations.

Given all I hear about the prices of heating oil, I wonder is there is anything like a pellet stove furnace that would heat a home? Friends who have dumped basic woodstoves for less wasteful pellet stoves swear the heating efficiency is enormously better.

I like what I’m hearing on this thread- critical thinking. It’s something I try to teach the kids in my classes but it does not come easy. Most people are quite happy to follow the status quo blindly.

I guess I’m a little skeptical of solutions for the “majority”. La folla non pensa. The masses don’t think. to implement mass solutions you must legislate. You get things like communism ( a good idea) which turns into totalitarianism.

I guess my proposal for you- the whole boat thing- is just my way of looking at things- taking responsability for one’s self first.

I’m thinking along the same lines llilibel…

There will be no solutions for the majority, no cure all panacea short of cheap easy fusion power… which isn’t looking likely.

I think as far as energy especially is concerned, the solution will be found by things that work on a small, local scale, dependant on climate and geography.

As for the societal and idea shifts, those are always acomplished by individuals doing their own thinking.

Nels, the wood pellet stove is something that I have heard about. Are they a lot more efficient than a traditional wood burner?

There are a few people in the valley around where my friend lives that have installed a new system into their homes. I should say: out of their homes. What it is, is a small shack near the house with a big wood stove/furnace in it. This has a radiator that is connected to a system of pipes that brings a fluid (probably something like prestone) up to a high temperature via the woodburner and then pumps it to the house, where they have replaced the old furnace with a radiator and a fan that pulls air from the house over it, heating it up and circulating it. It is much more efficient than a traditional wood stove setup, and this is merely replacing an existing wood/oil furnace, if you were building a house, you could install a radiant heating system with the fluid pipes and it would probably be even more efficient.

I wonder if the woodburner was a pellet one, how much better it could be?

Though one problem is that woodburning could not be a solution for that many people.

Really good to see all the ideas bouncing around this thread.

As far as actual surfboards go, I was thinking that when I have the time I could try something. A hollow wooden surfboard, and instead of resin to seal it, try pine resin. The local native tribes of Mohawks and Iroquois here in Quebec used to make birch bark canoes and they would seal up all of the seams on them with boiled pine resin. I wonder if the stuff would always be sticky? Might not need any wax. :wink:

What about a birch bark surfboard? …

Again whether wood is sustainable or not depends on where you live and what the practices of the local harvester are like. But at least it would be something that didn’t come out of an oil well.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/bayarealiving/ci_4469120

Nutshell version: Oakland, CA ‘green’ skateboard company. Manufactures decks in a factory 100% powered by solar. Working with Cornell U on developing soy-based resin. Good stuff. :slight_smile:

http://www.cometskateboards.com/factory/

Definitely good stuff Benny.

Nice to see people who are doing it well.

Would be really cool to see soy based resins. Wonder how far off they are from producing workable product?

Nearly all the discussion in this thead so far seems to revolve around achieving higher efficiency, or “doing” with less. But there is another approach whose pluses and minuses haven’t yet been discussed–reducing the size of the typical (or desired) family (i.e. leading to RPG, ZPG, or NPG). From a selfish point of view for surfers, while the acerage devoted to parks may be increased by going to higher density housing, it’s hard to envision how the number of surf breaks could be expanded in the same manner as the population density increases in an area. (Moreover, it only takes one offspring to give your genes a chance to get passed along to a new generation–although the family name may not be about 50% of the time.)