economical U.S. shipping carrier

Who is the most economical U.S. shipping carrier for ten-foot boards? Please reply. Thanks!

Sean: I’m not sure if you are receiving or shipping a board from your post. Common carrier (freight trucking) has proven to be about the cheapest for me. Clark Foam can ship me a 10’6" box of blanks and get it to me cross country for about $100.00. The problem is that you pay the same for a single board inside that same box or 4 boards. If you are receiving product then they probably already have a discounted rate(like Clark Foam) and it is passed on to me the customer at an approximate 40% discount over what I would get walking in off the street to ship a single box. Look in the Yellow Pages under freight lines or truck lines. You can save a buck if you take or pickup the box from the terminal rather than have them come to you. TS > Who is the most economical U.S. shipping carrier for ten-foot boards? > Please reply. Thanks!

Who is the most economical U.S. shipping carrier for ten-foot boards? > Please reply. Thanks! Tom, where are you located? Clark has a few regional distribution centers to help keep freight down. $100.00 for a box seems high.

cmc: I’m on the Texas Gulf Coast. Used to be about $70.00 until the “fuel tax surcharge” upped the ante 6 mos. ago. I order from Clark in Van Nuys. I’m aware of the East Coast facility, just never tried shipping from there. Usually I order 4 blanks at a time. When I’ve ordered two boxes you do get off even cheaper because they bind the boxes together into one unit.>>> Tom, where are you located? Clark has a few regional distribution centers > to help keep freight down. $100.00 for a box seems high. http://www.thirdcoastsurf.com

They classification for surfboard blanks on a LTL is class 250. Usually the trucking company will calculate the rate based on the class, weight, and discount. They also will usually have a minimun rate(which is why it costs $100 for one blank or 4) until you hit a certain weigh. Usually the number of boxes in the shipment is irrelevant since the rate is based on weight and classification. The secret to getting the best rate is in the discount. If you are going to be shipping regularly it is worth the effort to shmooze the freight company. If it is a one time deal find a friend that works somewhere that gets a good rate or whatever it takes, discounts can be signifigant, like 40% off list or better. Good luck, Matthew Weaver ex-shipping manager > cmc:>>> I’m on the Texas Gulf Coast. Used to be about $70.00 until the “fuel > tax surcharge” upped the ante 6 mos. ago. I order from Clark in Van > Nuys. I’m aware of the East Coast facility, just never tried shipping from > there. Usually I order 4 blanks at a time. When I’ve ordered two boxes you > do get off even cheaper because they bind the boxes together into one > unit.

cmc:>>> I’m on the Texas Gulf Coast. Used to be about $70.00 until the “fuel > tax surcharge” upped the ante 6 mos. ago. I order from Clark in Van > Nuys. I’m aware of the East Coast facility, just never tried shipping from > there. Usually I order 4 blanks at a time. When I’ve ordered two boxes you > do get off even cheaper because they bind the boxes together into one > unit. I work in the Truckload Trucking Industry in Florida, and you might let the FL office give you a freight quote. Florida shippers typically get higher discounts than anywhere in US, not uncommon to see 60-70%. You might be able to save a few $$$$$.

Thanks! I’ll try it. Tom>>> I work in the Truckload Trucking Industry in Florida, and you might let > the FL office give you a freight quote. Florida shippers typically get > higher discounts than anywhere in US, not uncommon to see 60-70%. You > might be able to save a few $$$$$.

Good info thanks! Im trying get a long board from an individual in California to an individual in Texas. Ive bought some used boards from individuals around the US and got stumped with how to ship the long boards because they exceed most size restrictions or become expensive to ship. I found that most Airlines charge $30 to ship items as cargo not counter to counter. Cargo means they will ship it within 48 hours from one airport to another airport. I was looking for other means of transporting long boards. I cannot be the first guy who wanted to ship a long board. If any one has any other ideas on shipping long boards around please post them. Thanks, Ive been getting educated on shipping boards!>>> Sean:>>> I’m not sure if you are receiving or shipping a board from your post. > Common carrier (freight trucking) has proven to be about the cheapest for > me. Clark Foam can ship me a 10’6" box of blanks and get it to me > cross country for about $100.00. The problem is that you pay the same for > a single board inside that same box or 4 boards. If you are receiving > product then they probably already have a discounted rate(like Clark Foam) > and it is passed on to me the customer at an approximate 40% discount over > what I would get walking in off the street to ship a single box. Look in > the Yellow Pages under freight lines or truck lines. You can save a buck > if you take or pickup the box from the terminal rather than have them come > to you.>>> TS

Sean: I’ve had a couple of friends use a passenger bus line on occasion to move boards cross country. Not sure if there is a finite limit to length but you might inquire at Greyhound or the like. Tom

Hi, I can box and ship boards for $99. Email This is a service I started about a year ago. thanks, Matt http://www.MalibuLongBoards.com