emerick ishikawa double ended surfboards

Hello all,

I was watching on youtube the double ended surfboards of Emerick Ishikawa. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkd4F1e7srs (like this one for example).

I’m not sure if double end surfboard is the way to call that.

I just came from a trip carrying three boards around and it was very (very) uncomfortable.

I’ve got a windsurf board that I want to strip the fibreglass off and reshape. The thing is at least 4 inches thick.

I like the idea of building a small wave board with the possibility of turning it around and having a complete different shape and fin set up.

I was looking at this outline from Blending Curves (picture attached) and thinking: what about making a single fin on the pin tail and a quad on the big round end.

Using the wide round end as the tail would be very similar to the Firewire sweet potato outline.

when looking at the round end as a tail, I would go for a double concave to make rail to rail transitions easier.

maybe single concave in the middle of the board and go for a little double to vee at the end of the pin tail / nose.

mellow rails at the ends , something more forgiving not as sharp.

worth it?

Otivi,

Check out the thread ‘‘A Real Double Ender.’’          It may well address some of your concerns.       Read it from the start.

Sell the windsurf board for $100 and get yourself a blank. Or take the hard way…

I know Emerick. I’ve surfed with him and we’ve discussed his boards. Basically he’ll make it either with one side having a rounder tail than the other, or he puts the wide point off center and he’ll have a board with the same tail shape. Don’t let his abilty to make them look so good fool you, the guy rips. He was a really good surfer before he started making boards.

Older windsurfing boards made with foam were usually made with heavier foam, and you have to deal with the mast and straps. I did one a few years back, and not something I’d do again. Got the board for 20 dollars from my neighbor.

thanks for sharing your knowledge and thoughts gentlemen

I searched on the archives before posting and did not find that one (Thanks Bill)

lots of info there. I will read carefully.

I bought this windsurf board for 10 dollars. I think I will give it a chance. 

Sharkcountry, man, I hadn’t thought about that. 

I thought I had everything pretty much covered.

thickest point off center.

I was thinking about that.

besides he surfs really well, he is surfing 10 foot waves in hawaii.

I mean, anything you have under your feet is going to be pushed.

I’m worried about how is going to perform an hybrid shape like this on a small mushy wave.

well, only one way to answer that…

thanks again to all

Just think about making a board with 2 tails, so the tail shape is what you want to worry about. The rocker, thickness and the rails need to be designed for the tail.

I’ve made a handful of boards from a single slab of 3" thick XPS foam. I use a symmetrical rocker, getting about 2" on either end and little bit more with a thinned out nose. Low rocker boards work great.

FYI… the black twin fin Emerick was riding is 5’6" x 17" wide (maybe a bit more but less than 18"). Emerick is a smaller guy, and very fit.

Just repeating theory I’ve read:

• constant thickness is surely better but could move the wide point to allow for slight variation

• don’t worry about a hard edge in the nose. Hydrodynamic modelling showed (link?) that hard edges actually release water better than round edges… curved surfaces grip better

If it’s an asym that could even be 4 boards in one. That’s very interesting and useful logically but it just doesn’t feel right to be that ugly. Is that 4 chances to get it right or 4 chances to get it wrong? The rocker??

I’ll just add I enjoy watching this guy surf. He’s got that Hawaiian style that I"ve admired since I was 14 years old. Cool he’s making his own boards and they are creative. I don’t know anything about him but it seems he’s a guy making stuff in his own ‘garage’ for his own amusement. A sways type of guy. Be nice if he pitched in here. Mike

Thanks for the link.  Great surfer and interesting shapes.  There’s a lot to be said about the width of those boards.

I agree.     If I visit Hawaii again, I’d like to have a sit down with him, and talk story and designs.      

Hi Mcding. What would you say about the width of his boards? The twin he surfs with the strange 'backward’keels looks narrow than what I surf, but he’s young, fit, and talented. Mike

Key points… he’s young , talented, and fit. He can ride anything and swims like a fish.

When I first saw him surfing several years ago he was riding a small fish and ripping. I thought he was a Japanese national. After I started talking to him, I learned he lived in my old home town for a while, and knew my home boys. I don’t think he’s been shaping very long, but he’s like me, we make boards that other guys won’t make.

Thanks for posting. Great to see the Sways connection, Sharkcountry.

Constant thickness is fine. I balance thickness nose and tail but push a bit more under the chest. No biggie to even that out.

But wide point. Push it forward and narrow the tail and you’ve got a runner.

Flip the board and the wide point is now back, so a wider tail makes sense for handling gutlesness.

But then you’ve got a runner with a wide nose.

Or does I think wrong?

For one thing:  there was a period of time(late 60’s thru 72 or so) during which the average board was 6’6” —-8’2” and widths ran from a narrow 17” —- 20 1/2”.  Average width being 18”.  Ruminate on Why??