Enamel vs. Acrylic

I accidentally spray-painted my board with enamel instead of acrylic (over the hotcoat, not on the foam).

Will the Enamel still work? Will it peel off?

Should I use an acrylic sealant over the enamel?

To put it simply, what is wrong with using enamel?

Howzit JLW, the Enamel may be oil based and if it is it’s not compatable with resin.Aloha,Kokua

So in other words, the worst that could happen is that it will chip off of the board over time?

Howzit JLW, The worst scenario is the resin won’t adhere to the paint and will delam .Aloha,Kokua

kokua,

the paint is over the hotcoat

It is not on the foam.

Can it still delam?

As I see it, enamel is a coating that cures by oxidation. In a paint, it’s usually oil-based (but not always, the definition doesn’t require it).

You could shoot rattle-can enamel clear over it.

If you believed the surface was smooth enough, and if you believe the hot coat has sealed the lam sufficiently, you could leave it as is. Are there pinholes?

If you want to gloss with poly, I believe it won’t adhere, so the enamel paint will have to be sanded off, and you’ll have to re-do the decorative work with acrylic, then you can finish coat with poly or clear acrylic.

There are pinholes.

I am not doing a gloss-coat.

All I care about is that the enamel does not hinder the structural integrity of the board. So if it has potential to delam, even though it’s not under the glass, i will remove it immediately. I just have trouble understanding how a board could delam just from oil-based paint being on the DECK of the board. If it was on the foam it would be understandable, but if it were on the deck, it makes no sense. Are you implying that it would seep in through the pinholes?

But if the worst that could happen is the paint just chipping/peeling off, then i’ll just leave it alone.

So once again, if the enamel is over the very final finish of the board, (over the hot coat, and i am doing no gloss coat), can it still cause the board to delaminate as kokua stated?

And if so, should I remove it with acetone/paint thinner?

From what you describe, just go surfing.

The paint might stay on, might peel off, but it won’t affect the glassing or the strength.

Hey Wildy,

Yea, I just got a bit nervous when I heard the word “delam”

Corvette Exterior Paint Process

1. PRIMARY SANDING - All body panels and bonded joints that received acrylic lacquer are dry sanded to prepare surfaces for painting. A filler material (called putty rub) is applied to the entire body to fill minor imperfections.

2. PRIMER - Two coats of primer are applied (the first red and the second gray) and are oven baked for 60 minutes at 280 degrees F.

3. WET SANDING - The body is wet sanded to provide a smooth surface for the sealers. Most of the gray primer coat is removed with the red primer acting as a depth signal for the sanding operation. The body is dried to remove all moisture.

4. SEALER - One coat of sealer and one coat of color acrylic lacquer are applied and baked.

5. DRY SANDING - The body is dry sanded to prepare surfaces for the final acrylic lacquer.

6. LACQUERING - Three coats of acrylic lacquer are sprayed on the body to build up the required paint thickness. The paint is “rested” for eight minutes to permit it to partially set up and to remove excess volatile paint vehicle.

7. INITIAL BAKING - The body is oven baked for 30 minutes at 140 degrees F to harden the paint which permits the subsequent operation. Small interior and exterior parts are painted to complete the body paint schedule.

8. FINAL BAKING - To assure a durable, hard, high luster finish the lacquer is oven baked for 45 minutes at 250 degrees F. Reheating the lacquer permits the paint film to soften and allows surface blemishes and sanding scratches to disappear during the thermo-reflow process.

9. FINAL SANDING AND POLISHING - The body is lightly oil sanded and polished to bring painted surfaces to a high luster finish

Chevrolet Engineering Center - September 1965

Hey Mark, although that procedure does not answer my question, it’s still quite interesting.

But back to my initial question: Can enamel, when placed OVER the hot coat (not under the foam) cause delamination or any damage to my board?

well, JLW… it didn’t on mine

it just flaked off .

So I sanded it back [off] , and sprayed ACRYLIC on to the hotcoat instead . Then I re-hotcoated it .

I agree with Greg …just go surfing mate . Are you getting waves there at the moment ?

ben

Howzit JLW, Then do a couple of clear coats over the color. That will make it last longer.Aloha,Kokua