epoxy blanks

Noodle, it pains me greatly to report that the board hasn’t been in the > water since i finished it about 4 weeks ago. south florida is flatter than > a pancake in the summer, and the caribbean storm season has been more > whimper than bang so far. i don’t have any trips planned until late > spring/early summer. hopefully late fall and winter will provide us with > plenty of cold front ground swell from dead north. that’s when it really > fires here. the ‘comet’ will have it’s day i’m sure, and i’ll let you know > what happens. anything happening in TX wave-wise lately? Ramon, Are you getting any swell yet, from the upper level low off the Fla. coast? Hope so, so you can get to use your new board. We should be getting the swell from Erin by Mon./ Tues. Atlantic sure is active right now !!! Good luck. R.I. surfer

Ramon,>>> Are you getting any swell yet, from the upper level low off the Fla. > coast? Hope so, so you can get to use your new board. We should be getting > the swell from Erin by Mon./ Tues. Atlantic sure is active right now !!! > Good luck. Hi R.I., we just have a trace of a swell here, i heard that sebastian inlet is only thigh-high. the canaveral outer buoy is showing a longer period now so that may be a good sign. i think you will really be the beneficiaries of erin. unless she does something wierd, like stall and spin right off the carolina banks. we’ll keep our eyes open. this low is just causing it to rain, we’re under flood watch till tomorrow i think. good luck, enjoy what comes your way!

A friend and I want to make some epoxy blanks. It is way to difficult to > get the rockers and foils we want from the guys that are currently doing > them in our area. My question is does anyone out there know what the > official name is of the eps foam block we would need to get and where to > order it from? Also has anyone had any experience making a hotwire for cut > outs? We have some decent ideas on how to go about it, but we would > greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.>>> We have been making poly boards for about 6 years now, and want to try > something different. Thanks in advance to anyone that can contribute some > info, and much thanks to swaylock for the excellent forum. I think I’m a little late on this one (gone surfing awhile) the foam I use a lot is called styrofoam (not EPS) it’s shapes almost like clark, absords no water (not even after a year) and it comes in three different types. Its a construction foam for building houses (in Europe) so we have floor made, wall made and roof made. Floor made is the heaviest and the hardest foam (nice for windsurfing boards) I use roof made, It comes in blanks from 9 ft (max) by 32 and 3 thick, no rocker, no stringer, everything flat and square. The price is $ 20,- a piece. DOW chemicals in Terneuzen (Holland) makes these blanks, I think DOW is big with plants all over the world, ceck it out. If you wanna know how the H. I shape and make these let me know. Peter Rijk.

I think I’m a little late on this one (gone surfing awhile) the foam I use > a lot is called styrofoam (not EPS) it’s shapes almost like clark, absords > no water (not even after a year) and it comes in three different types. > Its a construction foam for building houses (in Europe) so we have floor > made, wall made and roof made. Floor made is the heaviest and the hardest > foam (nice for windsurfing boards) I use roof made, It comes in blanks > from 9 ft (max) by 32 and 3 thick, no rocker, no stringer, everything flat > and square. The price is $ 20,- a piece. DOW chemicals in Terneuzen > (Holland) makes these blanks, I think DOW is big with plants all over the > world, ceck it out. If you wanna know how the H. I shape and make these > let me know.>>> Peter Rijk. Thank you for your response. So the stuff is called roof made (is there some kind of serial number on it for Id purposes?), by Dow chemical. It sounds exactly what we want (all square). I wonder if it availble in the states? We are thinking of making two of our rocker/foil templates, mounting them on the sides of the block, and then taking a hot wire and cutting along the top and bottom of our template. After this, cutting the blank cut out down the middle and glueing in our stringer. Is this way off base or does sound like it will work? Could you suggest a type of stringer material that works best (basswood vs. pvc, etc.) and what type of glue should we use? It has been posted that we can use guitar string for the hot wire. Do you agree, or is there something that works better that does not cost an arm and a leg? Is your hot wire device constructed like a rectangle, with the electrical elments on two corners with the wire strung between them? I am just concerned that we won’t be able to keep tension on the hot wire while we are cutting out our blanks. I don’t mean to overwhelm you with a ton of questions, and apologize if I am being too forward. We are just very eager to make our own blanks, and any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. We are not interested in starting a blank business, we are just experimenting with different shapes and want to have the freedom to do our own blanks.

I think I’m a little late on this one (gone surfing awhile) the foam I use > a lot is called styrofoam (not EPS) it’s shapes almost like clark, absords > no water (not even after a year) and it comes in three different types. > Its a construction foam for building houses (in Europe) so we have floor > made, wall made and roof made. Floor made is the heaviest and the hardest > foam (nice for windsurfing boards) I use roof made, It comes in blanks > from 9 ft (max) by 32 and 3 thick, no rocker, no stringer, everything flat > and square. The price is $ 20,- a piece. DOW chemicals in Terneuzen > (Holland) makes these blanks, I think DOW is big with plants all over the > world, ceck it out. If you wanna know how the H. I shape and make these > let me know.>>> Peter Rijk. I’m all for $20 blanks. What density (lb/cu ft) is your styrofoam? Do you cover it with sandwich/diviny or direct fiberglass? -Noodle

Thank you for your response. So the stuff is called roof made (is there > some kind of serial number on it for Id purposes?), by Dow chemical. It > sounds exactly what we want (all square). I wonder if it availble in the > states? We are thinking of making two of our rocker/foil templates, > mounting them on the sides of the block, and then taking a hot wire and > cutting along the top and bottom of our template. After this, cutting the > blank cut out down the middle and glueing in our stringer. Is this way off > base or does sound like it will work? Could you suggest a type of stringer > material that works best (basswood vs. pvc, etc.) and what type of glue > should we use?>>> It has been posted that we can use guitar string for the hot wire. Do you > agree, or is there something that works better that does not cost an arm > and a leg? Is your hot wire device constructed like a rectangle, with the > electrical elments on two corners with the wire strung between them? I am > just concerned that we won’t be able to keep tension on the hot wire while > we are cutting out our blanks.>>> I don’t mean to overwhelm you with a ton of questions, and apologize if I > am being too forward. We are just very eager to make our own blanks, and > any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. We are not interested in > starting a blank business, we are just experimenting with different shapes > and want to have the freedom to do our own blanks. The density of the styrofoam I use (the Roof made) is like super green, there is no number on these blanks that I know of. The good thing is it has the same density inside as outside. I cover it with fiberglass, Epoxy (from the aeroplane industry from Sweden, da best) and also some times use materials like Dynema/carbon and grafite. If you are using a vacuum technique for glassing you can go to four layers and still have a lite board wich is very strong (no dents). For shaping you can use a hotwire if you want, the strongest are strings from a violin, I like baswood for a stringer it shapes good and is stong and a normal foam construction glue works great. I can try to draw the set up I use for hotwiring and post it on the Boards part of the forum. There also is a drawing of how to use plastic to get a good result for glassing ( an easy alternative to bagging) in there somewhere. The way you are going to use the side rocker templates might work I think, but if you are going to shape shortboards you have to bend the blanks to, this you can do in the glueing part of the proces. And if youre going to glass the blank you can also use a band of glasfiber over the deck and put some tension on this. I try to draw this to. Good luck and be careful with Epoxy and its fumes. Peter Rijk.