Epoxy delamination

99.99% sure its EPS. I didn’t do the blank so can’t be 100%. I got from the guy at resin research, I asked him where I could get an EPS blank when I was picking up the resin and he told me he hand one he would sell me. I may have heated it up to much while sanding it, I do sand outside where its in the sun and it was warm to the touch. I’m not sure why it happened but pretty sure its cause of something I did, so I’m trying to figure out what so I don’t do it again. Thanks for all help.

Well, leaving it out in the hot sun, especially if you have dark colors in your airbrush and your board hasn’t fully cured yet can definately cause a delam. And the sander is just going to create more heat, especially if you don’t move it around enough. But maybe there are multiple things going on here. You said that your tape came off really easily. This may mean that you didn’t get all the foam or spackle dust off the board and that could weaken your bond. Next time, when you think the board is ready to airbrush or glass, run a clean finger or soft dark cloth along the foam to see how much white dust you pick up. There shouldn’t be much.

Also, you may want to pre-heat your next blank if you get it from the same source to get the gas out.

In San Diego I don’t need a vent with my EPS boards, but where you are may be different.

Good luck.

If you still want to syringe it make sure you get an 18 gauge needle or bigger otherwise the needle will be too small for the resin to come out of. Most veterinarians will have something like this. Otherwise you can try hand sanding the areas where the glass still touches with 40 grit to start with. Be careful though as 40 grit goes through fibreglass quite quickly, even when your hand sanding! Then clean up with some 80 grit and go from there. Another way is to use a router and cut the appropriate area into strips. Then use a putty knife to prise up whatever is still touching. But as you’ve probably guessed, the easiest way is to start again with a new blank. I’m assuming you a new glasser? Also did you rough up your spackle a little with 120 grit?

i think its either the paint or heat or both!

could be wrong though

maybe just cut it and peel it off and reglass it with a patch

it really strange that it would delam like that

usually resin drains into eps a bit

even if its sealed

so the peel strength of eps and glass is great

the foam fails first so when you peel it off there are lots of beads stuck to the foam

if it peels of easily without pulling beads, that means you have bonding issues

can be caused by using XPS

or moisture

or paint etc

thanks for all the info. I drilled a few holes in the area and filled it with resin then put some weights on it (the bags of sand that was recommended). It was a little uneven so I sanded it down some and put a new hotcoat on it.

No, I’m not a new glasser but I’m not an expert either. The problem is this was only my third Epoxy board. I did sand the spackle down, tried to get it sanded down as much as I could. The color of the airbrush was black and it was in the sun as I sanded it, I never try to keep the sander in the same place for long, because I don’t want to sand it down to much.

Here’s my guess of what happened, tell me if it sounds like its the cause. After hotcoating the board I installed the leash plug. Well my last couple of leash plugs, I haven’t had the overspill Like I normally do. When I sanded the leash plug there was a void, from an airbubble. Which I wasn’t too concerned about, because I was going to put a glosscoat on the board. So I taped over the plug, then put a poly resin glosscoat on the board (with it filling the void, I thought the blank was sealed because of the epoxy resin already in the plug hole). After the glosscoat cure I lety it set for a day then sanded the board again, to a 600grit only outside and in the sun for maybe 30 minutes and was flipping the board often. When I finished sanding the board, still no air bubble or delam. I removed the tape from the leash plug, then flipped it over to remove the tape form the fin plugs. I turned it over again and saw a air bubble about the size of my hand. So my guess is that between the leash plug install and glosscoat air got in from the void. Then when I sanded the board it heated up, when I removed the tape it allowed the air to expand or that’s when the air got in. Not sure but thats my guess. If this sounds like it maybe the reason let me know, or if this helps someone firgure it out, I’d like to know so I don’t do it again.

maybe the styrene in the gloss coat got into the hole and melted the eps

i dont think it was air by itself

i would recomend avoiding using a poly gloss

it will possibly get into the pin holes and melt the eps foam

epoxy buffs out okay

“The color of the airbrush was black”

Hi Rev -

Black heats up like crazy in the sun. With no vent, it could easily cause the type of problem you’re having. You can still install a vent. With a manual type of vent, make sure it’s open when the board is in the sun.

I’ve read all the responses and thought about…there’s not a whole lot that can go wrong with epoxy if you’ve mixed the right ratio, unless you spackle with vaseline.

No way that little void near the plug is going to grow that big from what tiny amount of polyester gloss coat might have got in.

Then I read again:- Black paint and sanding in the sun.

Say no more.

Black has always been suicidal whatever foam…a small area of black in airbrush details, but any bigger than say a dime, nup.

Speedy

Quote:

“The color of the airbrush was black”

Hi Rev -

Black heats up like crazy in the sun. With no vent, it could easily cause the type of problem you’re having. You can still install a vent. With a manual type of vent, make sure it’s open when the board is in the sun.

how do yo do a vent?