Epoxy delamination

I did a search and found a couple of ways to fix an eps/epoxy delamination. My delam/air bubble is about the size of my hand. I was going to try to drill a hole in it, inject epoxy resin into into it, then place a brick on it. Should that fix the problem, will it make it flat again, do I need to do anything else (besides sand it down after its cured)? Thanks for any tips or advice.

XPS foam?

Wrong glue in the stringer?

Drill some smaller holes near the outside of the delam area so that the air escapes when the resin goes in, when the resin is leaking from the perimeter holes, you’re done. Inject the epoxy with a syringe, you can get them at animal feed places cheap.

JSS

No its an EPS blank. As for the glue, I don’t know I bought the blank from someone, but I know he does good boards so I don’t think that was the reason. I spackle the blank (taped of the stringer).

Quote:

Drill some smaller holes near the outside of the delam area so that the air escapes when the resin goes in, when the resin is leaking from the perimeter holes, you’re done. Inject the epoxy with a syringe, you can get them at animal feed places cheap.

JSS

But still place a weight or brick on it right, it keep it flat.

Hi Revolution,

Did you wipe off the tape residue with DNA?

Rio

no I didn’t wipe it off. The tape came up really easy, almost like it really didn’t stick.

Howzit revolution, Instead of a brick, use a bag with sand in it since it will conform to the board and make for a better bond all around.I put sand in a trash bag.Aloha,Kokua

I guess I always do things the hard way, but I’d cut out the delamed glass, clean it up, and put down a patch with fresh glass and epoxy.

Thanks I’ll use a bag of sand. I had a air bubble after laminating the board that I cut out and reglassed the area but I don’t like the look of it. I just finished sanding the (after a glosscoat) removed some tape from over the leash plug then saw a air bubble/delamination on the deck about the size of my hand. Thanks so far for everyone’s advice, I’ll start working on it this weekend, so please feel free to add any input.

Ok today when I got home I went to work on the board. Now the delam that was the size of my hand is now about the size of the whole deck. An area of about 1’ by 2.5’ to 3’. So I guess I’m going to have to cut and remove the whole area and reglass it, then airbrush over that. Any tips for that, or for why its getting larger or why I’m having the problem in the first place? And any tips for removing the old glass.

is the board vented

sounds to me like the spackel was to much and not dry yet

or you glassed in cold or really damp conditions

no the board is not vented, how do you do that? I don’t think it was too cold, could it of been to hot? It was maybe it the 80’s. I mixed the spackle with some water, let it dry for 24 hrs then sandit the spackle. I tried to sand most of the spackle down. Then I airbrushed it, tried not to put it on to heavy. Could the airbrushing not allow the resin to fully soak in?

EPS de-lam ??? Ha ha GREG L.

If you got a vaccum pump and bag-inject resin . stick in bag -turn on pump ====PROPER!

i dont believe bagging the outer glass has any real world benefits

and i use bagging alot

are you saying it delammed before you ride the board

because youve done something wrong

my guess its moisture or badly mixed resin

or possibly the paint that you used

if there wasnt much spakle on the boards and it was well dry

there shouldnt be a problem

are you sure you used the correct spackle

I used the dap fast dry spackle? Not sure If I got the name right, but its the same stuff the guy at Resin Research says he uses. Moisture wasn’t high that week. I’m sure the reason it happened was because of something I did. I mixed it well and use the right amounts/ratio. What I wonder is after I put in the FCS plugs and the leash plugs could air of got it and caused this? I didn’t have a problem until I finished sanding it. There were areas that the resin had bubbles (in the FCS and leash plug). I taped over the plugs and did a glosscoat. Then I sanded the board again. Still on air bubble or delam. As soon as I removed the tape from the leash plug an air bubble formed on the the deck, then the next day it was bigger.

sounds really weired dude

are u sure its EPS (expanded polystyrene,white beads)

and not XPS (extruded polystyrene)

even if you put compressed air into one they still need a fair bit of pressure to delaminate

so thats not it

is it possible that your overheated it while sanding