Epoxy dimples...contam

After doing a cheater hotcoat I added another and epoxy just cat eyed everywhere. I’m just going to sand it all off. Maybe I mixed below 70 degrees.
I think in the future I’m going to lam with epoxy and finish w poly. This was my first attempt at working with epoxy. May even just mix a batch of tinted resin.
Now for a ton of sanding

That’s the worst I’ve ever seen! Because it is so uniform, the contamination wasn’t the board, but instead the epoxy itself. Did you use the bucket to change the oil in your car?

Bahahah. I might as well. I previously did a lam with the bucket. Next time I know. New bucket. Might have to increase the garage temp even though it was between 60-70 degrees.

Air movement?

or may be oil base tint.

No air movement.
No it was all waterbased. All supplies come from green light

My Harbor Freight heat gun spews a light lube oil on everything. Did you wipe with anything? Alcohol? How long did you wait for the second coat? Some epoxies will blush within 24 hours. Did you sneeze on the board? ha kidding on that one.

That IS about the worst case of fish eye Ive ever seen. Not reassuring, I know.

all the best

Leave it on the deck for traction.

I sanded then blew off with the compressor. Maybe the air out of the compressor was dirty. I wiped with paper towel. No idea. I’ll sand it all off.

It would be perfect for traction. Wish it wasn’t on the bottom.

That’s probably your answer. Compressor tanks are filthy. So are the hoses.

“Orange peel” - a common wall texture, now branching out into the surfboard industry.

That is your likely culprit. Any sort of spray lubricant like silicone or WD-40 could also fly around and land on the board. I’ve even heard of ‘stearated’ sandpaper giving people problems… http://www.mimf.com/library/Finish_contamination___Were_stearated_abrasives_the_problem_-03-27-2004.html

We have a winner.

All the best

waterbased tint in epoxy ! you find the problem. Waterbased tint are only compatible with water solution epoxy that are use for saturating porous materials. Need specific tint epoxy based or at least alcool based tint, it’s often “heavy alcool” like benzyl alcool wich is a component of epoxy resin.

Be interesting to know the exact details of the “cheater coat” process that was mentioned.

Cheater coat was just a light epoxy hot coat, knowing I was going to find sand and then put another hot coat on and then find sand. I used the resin tint greenlight sells. It probably is not rated for epoxy.

I have never had any issues with poly resin. Guess I treated epoxy like I do poly. Should of read more in depth about epoxy.

Epoxy is not difficult to work with, but there is a bit of a learning curve, and it can be finicky.

The cheater coat is best applied very very thin, then the fill coat applied over it when it gets tacky. I suspected you didn’t do this.

There have been many threads discussing the nuances of glassing with epoxy, and troubleshooting the issues. Google epoxy resin, fisheyes, etc. Never heard them called cat eyes before, but maybe its a regional thing.