Epoxy Lam coat troubles

Hi all ,

I just finished building a hollow wood surfboard and am doing my first glass job using Entropy epoxy.

I managed to get a lot of puddles from over flooding the lam coat on the deck. There is also a decent amount of runs along the rails of dripping epoxy. What can I say, first time and my heart was pounding. The bottom came out better.

My question is other then scuffing up the deck to prepare for mechanical bond of hot coat- should I carefully try now to remove the puddles or should I see if hot coat evens things out a bit?

I plan on doing a gloss coat after hot.

I appreciate the help.

This type of thread does much better with pictures.

Hard to see in this pic but best I can do at the moment as bottom of board is drying. You can still make out the excess epoxy.

Not quite sure What’s goin on there with your glassing lay up but that’s another story.

Filler coat/“hotcoat” as normal, sand flat and then final filler/gloss.

OK - stop shaking… it’s gonna be OK.
Seriously, take a coarse file or a surform and knock down any gnarly drips and runs. Don’t even worry about the ‘flooded’ areas. A little extra epoxy from a ‘wet’ lamination ain’t the end of the world. Go ahead and scuff up the lam with some sandpaper and do your fill coat (technically not a ‘hotcoat’ when using epoxy.) You may have a bit of extra sanding to do when the fillcoats cure but take your time, get it as smooth as possible and hit it with your gloss resin or another coat of epoxy. Take care when final sanding before gloss to wear gloves or hold a piece of sandpaper between your hand holding the board and the board itself. Lots of folks leave greasy fingerprints as they hold the board with one hand and sand with the other. Don’t be one of them and your gloss will turn out better.

Thanks guys. Your advice helped a lot.