Epoxy lamination over used Poly surfboard

Hey guys, I read in another website that there are some really good experts here and I have a buch of questions. I have a project and I have douts about certain details. I recovers a broken shortboard that is not nery old. I would like to repair it and then add and extra leyer of 4oz glass cloth to bottom and top to reinfore the board all over. Some have told me on youtube that is not worth it, and perhaps that’s right but I want to do it as a practice on working with epoxy and lamination before I set to shape my own board. How should I go about this? Sanding well all over after repair and laminate normally with Epoxy? then a Hot coat without sanding? and then another coat to polish and make it glossy? Should I sand before hoat coat or should I just hot coat derectly after laminating? Sand Hot coat before gloss coat? Am I missing something?

Thanks before hand!

Rod.

No problem to do that. Repair sand all flat with 40 grit then lam. With most “fast” epoxy you should at least lightly sand resin that cured for more than 24 hours. In fact you want to clean and cut glossy surface of cured epoxy to give grip for new layer.

If you want a polish finish do the gloss coat with polyester resin that’s far easier to polish

As lemat said;   Scuff up the old Poly surface after your repair.  Laminate with 4oz. And Epoxy.  The only thing you might sand on the lamination would be to knock down the lap.  Then hot coat and sand. Then you can put on a finish coat and either leave it unsanded or sand with wet and dry and polish.  An alternative is to wipe on a finish on the sanded hotcoat.  Search the archives for Behr floor and tile sealer.  Plenty in there on that type of finish.  Smart of you to paractice on something like this.  Good luckk.  Lowel

I have done this successfully many times. Clean it up, sand everything, and glass a new layer of 4 oz with epoxy, just like has been said

Here’s an example of one, with a pic of the fin area when I got it

Thank you very much guys! I’ll show pics when I can!

Yeah that one was a labor of love Huck.  Every nice.