Epoxy Resin Yes, Polyester No?

Is there any major reason to think that my next polyurethane foam blank surfboard should be glassed with s-glass and epoxy resin for added strength (or any other advantages)? I’ve been away for a while so if there is already a thread please let me know. Mahalo

Is there any major reason to think that my next polyurethane foam blank > surfboard should be glassed with s-glass and epoxy resin for added > strength (or any other advantages)? I’ve been away for a while so if there > is already a thread please let me know.>>> Mahalo Good epoxy resin is strong and clear. Yay! Epoxy degrades and yellows in sunshine. Boo. You can cover epoxy with polyester resin to keep it from yellowing and degrading. Yay! Epoxied glass is so resilient that can spring out of depressions in polyurethane foam. Boo. You can glass epoxy over EPS foam. Yay! Wet epoxy resin can cause severe allergic reactions. Boo. You can wear a breathing mask and protective clothing. Yay! Vinylester resin has comparable strength to epoxy. You must use it on polyurethane foam. Yay! Vinylester resin is dark and translucent. Boo.

Good epoxy resin is strong and clear. Yay!>>> Epoxy degrades and yellows in sunshine. Boo.>>> You can cover epoxy with polyester resin to keep it from yellowing and > degrading. Yay!>>> Epoxied glass is so resilient that can spring out of depressions in > polyurethane foam. Boo.>>> You can glass epoxy over EPS foam. Yay!>>> Wet epoxy resin can cause severe allergic reactions. Boo.>>> You can wear a breathing mask and protective clothing. Yay!>>> Vinylester resin has comparable strength to epoxy. You must use it on > polyurethane foam. Yay!>>> Vinylester resin is dark and translucent. Boo. For pure function forget about cool logos and airbrushes.U.V. light is the arch enemy.Paint em a light color to keep em cool and use urethane car paint,it is tough as nails.The navy has been using a light grey color for years because of its heat and dirt resistance.The car paint guys have a light grey primer that is real flat and is an instant sanded finish…kinda makes your board look like a navy weapon.By the way the paint I speak of is catylized with a hardener is almost impossible to scratch off.

For pure function forget about cool logos and airbrushes.U.V. light is the > arch enemy.Paint em a light color to keep em cool and use urethane car > paint,it is tough as nails.The navy has been using a light grey color for > years because of its heat and dirt resistance.The car paint guys have a > light grey primer that is real flat and is an instant sanded > finish…kinda makes your board look like a navy weapon.By the way the > paint I speak of is catylized with a hardener is almost impossible to > scratch off. It sounds to me as if a person could prolong the life of their (polyurethane) board by glassing with epoxy resin and using the urethane paint finish. Yes?

It sounds to me as if a person could prolong the life of their > (polyurethane) board by glassing with epoxy resin and using the urethane > paint finish. Yes? Oooh! Glad you brought this up. I have a favorite old funboard that’s in good shape but looks like crap. Would urethan paint be appropriate to give it a new look? If so, would I have to use a primer or just sand the old finish and paint? Thanks for any suggestions.

It sounds to me as if a person could prolong the life of their > (polyurethane) board by glassing with epoxy resin and using the urethane > paint finish. Yes? I am not an epoxy expert so I don’t know if there are any advantages of using it on a polyurethane blank.There are a lot of guys on thisite that have epoxy wired.My main point is that U.V. rays and heat are the enemy of any surfboard.You could spray em with acrylic if you want but car paint is a lot more durable.I learned all this stuff by asking questions at an auto body shop.The paint guy sprayed a board for me with what was left in the spray gun…didnt even charge me.