epoxy troubles

hey guys i am have a little trouble with an epoxy glass job i am doing.

The deck lam went well and the bottom lam went well.  i just installed the fin box and had some resin left over so i gave the bottom a light squeege over with the the left overs just to help blend where the lap line was.

I thought all was fine so a few days after that i started cleaning up the laps sanding then and tiding up the bottom and the  left over resin i spread over the bottom started to flake off.

i did give the glass a scotchbrite and wipe down with acertone before i did the finbox install but it looks like the surface adhesion is not that good. where it has flakes of the lam look good under.

what should i do?

i was thinking that i would sand the whole of the bottom of the board and remove all the poor bonded fill coat and then put a 4oz layer of cloth over bottom that as the lam will be pretty thin after sanding it.

would would you guys do? 

cheers antony 

Were you using Klearlam from Adhesive Technologies?  That stuff has to have a good scrub before you fill coat.  It seems to blush almost immediately.  I know someone else who had the laps seperate using that resin probably because they didn't sand well enough.

If you weren't using Klearlam it still sounds like it needed more surface prep.  I don't use acetone but I do a hard scrub with warm water and simple green soap. 

If you are using KL call Collin at Adhesive Technologies and tell him what happened.  He knows a lot about epoxy and should be able to tell you exactly how to apply it.  They're making an epoxy specifically for surfboards so they should be able to tell you how to get a good result using it.

Your fix sounds good.

I've never used acetone with epoxy but a lot of people say to never ever use them together, I think that may be the problem. Your fix is what I did after I had a fish eye plague, it looked fine but I would've been happier if I'd done an opaque tint on the patch, in bright light you can sorta see where it's been sanded right down then glassed over