EPS Hotwire help

I was able to save 4 large dock floats from heading to the landfill after Hurricane Florence. They’re filled with 1lb eps that I was hoping to create something surfable with. This will be my first venture into hot wiring and vacuum bagging.

I was just wondering if this voltage regulator would work in place of a variac on a c-shaped Hotwire cutter. It seems basic enough: line in with a ground and a line out. Knob to control the voltage. Plan is to build my Hotwire this weekend based what I’ve read on the forum (diagram below) and cut the blocks flush and attach them end-to-end. My rectanglular block of foam will be 6’8”x28”x14” once it’s finished and from there I will cut out a blank.  

Looks like it may be pushing a lot of amps.

https://www.jacobs-online.biz/nichrome/NichromeCalc.html

for sure far too much power. you need around 120W (ie VA). over 24V it’s strat to be electricaly dangerous.

Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered a standard variac off of eBay for $38. Hotwire guide made from some scrap wood and some hardware I got from Lowe’s. Waiting for some kanthal wire to arrive from amazon and I’ll be set.