eps/water

I built an eps (not superfused) quad that now has a ding about 18’’ from the tail on the bottom. Customer wanted the quad to have 5 fins and while drilling I found water. Can water travel that far in eps or should I suspect something under the tail pad. thanks but its not water from the compressor as it failed the taste test. (seawater). Can water travel 15 inches if the board is stored upright??? Customer fessed up to have surfed a long session before noticing the ding.I supply aluminum insulation tape on delivery day, just wish theyd use it if needed.  thanks for any input

hey mike,

As nobody has yet responded, I’ll stab at it. I may be incorrect or speak in the wrong venacular but I will speak from ding repair experience, and hope it will help.

Water can and will travel anywhere in the board. Its all about pressure within the blank, and the path of least resistance. 

As the surfer was out on the dinged board the the cold ocean water cooled the blank and thus it sucked water in to the opening. Once out of the ocean the blank heats up and wants to expand…the water will bubble or seap out, depending on amount of pressure.

Everytime and eps/epoxy repair comes in we i.d. the ding, put it out in the sun, and watch the water pour out. Sometimes the amout that seems to come out is confounding. Some have bubbled all day, or two days and sea water still comes out. Gravity helps and at the end of the process I put a paper towel in the ding to wick  the last of it out. Then repair as normal for epoxy resin.

I think the water can and will travel the entire length of the board, and as I said, they suck up so much water i’m surprised you can’t hear swooshing around inside the board.

Yep. Just like a sponge. I have seen HUGE puddles on under boards standing upright with dings on the tail.

It’s really cool to see the mold form under the glass after they have been repaired.

Yeah its light foam.

Yeah it floats a little better.

Yeah it is an inferior foam.

For just that reason.

I love Epoxy resin. Just not on that foam.

Barry Snyder

Both Pico and BarrySnyder are right. Although, if there isn’t a vent plug in the board, I’ll usually drill a small hole higher up on the board to help with the drainage of water. Since the board is sensitive to pressure it just acts as a pressure release and allows the water to drain a little bit easier and it’s a super minor repair compaired to what you’re doing. It’ll save you a bit of time waiting in the end and you can rinse the ding out first so you don’t have the salt, or sand, left in the ding.

thanks for the advice, my first 50 or so boards were Dows white xps in the early ninties, Doug Wright in fla. specifically, i loved the foam but it appears the quality has dropped and eps leads. guess that was so old school now , no vents,glass ons and hot coat with poly because a 3 gal. kit was $145. still love epoxy tho.