Evo Boards

Here’s a little info about these boards for anyone who’s interested. I just went down to my local surfshop and found that they got a new shipment of Wayne Lynch’s Evo boards. I got a chance to check out a few of his round tail thrusters ranging in size from 6’2"-7’2". They also had two of his double-ender models. I was hoping that the double-enders would have an authentic 70’s feel, but they were pretty modern looking. Not to mention overpriced like a lot of other boards. One interesting thing was the fin and leash plug set-up. Quite different from other shortboards.

Here’s a little info about these boards for anyone who’s interested.>>> I just went down to my local surfshop and found that they got a new > shipment of Wayne Lynch’s Evo boards. I got a chance to check out a few of > his round tail thrusters ranging in size from 6’2"-7’2". They > also had two of his double-ender models. I was hoping that the > double-enders would have an authentic 70’s feel, but they were pretty > modern looking. Not to mention overpriced like a lot of other boards.>>> One interesting thing was the fin and leash plug set-up. Quite different > from other shortboards. Quite to the contrary, all other boards are UNDERPRICED. I do all of the EVO balsa boards and these are some of the finest thought out, crafted, sensible surfboards availible today. The shapes are by Wayne, undoubtibly one of the all time best surfer/shapers. They use the top color men and best glass shops, somewhere along the way, surfboards became a handmade product that isn’t worth spending the money on. But we’ll spend more on a snow board, car stereo or a host of other things that can be carried in one hand. Sorry, but they’re worth every penny that their asking and it isn’t my company!!!

Quite to the contrary, all other boards are UNDERPRICED. I do all of the > EVO balsa boards and these are some of the finest thought out, crafted, > sensible surfboards availible today. The shapes are by Wayne, undoubtibly > one of the all time best surfer/shapers. They use the top color men and > best glass shops, somewhere along the way, surfboards became a handmade > product that isn’t worth spending the money on. But we’ll spend more on a > snow board, car stereo or a host of other things that can be carried in > one hand. Sorry, but they’re worth every penny that their asking and it > isn’t my company!!! WHAT IS THE IDEA BEHIND THE THREE LINED LOGO? ALSO ANOTHER THOUGHT… A SURFBOARD CAN/WILL GET RUINED IN ONE COLLISION WITH A KOOK OR THICK LIP AFTER GETTING CAUGHT INSIDE, HOW IS THE AVERAGE CONSUMER INCLUDING TEENAGERS, AND NON-SPONSORED AVERAGE JOES GOING TO SPEND $650. NOT INCLUDING TAX,LEASH,DECKGRIP ON A SHORTBOARD?..GO TO ‘ANY’ GLASSING FACTORY AND THERE IS AT LEAST 2 0R 3 SHAPERS MILLING AROUND AND FOR APPROX. $120. SHAPING(1.5 HRS) AND $150. GLASSING YOU CAN HAVE A 6’8" CLEAR,SANDED FINISH WITH FCS FINS FROM SOMEBODY THAT KNOWS HOW TO SURF FOR SAY $299.,THUS AVOIDING RETAIL, TAX, AND OVERHEAD COSTS. WOULD YOU BUY YOUR 17 YR OLD A $650. BOARD, HELL NO. DEMAND DRIVES UP COST,RIGHT NOW IS LOW DEMAND, SUPPORT YOUR ‘LOCAL’ SHAPERS. THE ONES THAT HAVE THE GLOSSY BOOKLETS ON THE FLOOR AT SURFRIDE ARE PASSING THEIR OVERHEAD TO YOU ANYWAY. NO DISRESPECT TO SHAPERS(I AM ONE) JUST DISSING THE AFTER COSTS…ENERGY BILLS ARE GOING UP IN FACTORIES AND THAT WILL EFFECT PRICE ALSO (SOON). ALSO SURFERS NEED TO KNOW THEIR ROCKER REQUIREMENTS IF THEY EXPECT A SIMILAR RIDING BOARD TO THEIR PREVIOUS, ANY SHAPER CAN TEACH YOU!!! ITS EASIER THAN YOU THINK…

WHAT IS THE IDEA BEHIND THE THREE LINED LOGO? The number three has spritiual significance in many different parts of the world. My guess is that Lynch, being a pretty soulful guy, is just referencing this. Or perhaps it just looks cool.

WHAT IS THE IDEA BEHIND THE THREE LINED LOGO? ALSO ANOTHER THOUGHT… A > SURFBOARD CAN/WILL GET RUINED IN ONE COLLISION WITH A KOOK OR THICK LIP > AFTER GETTING CAUGHT INSIDE, HOW IS THE AVERAGE CONSUMER INCLUDING > TEENAGERS, AND NON-SPONSORED AVERAGE JOES GOING TO SPEND $650. NOT > INCLUDING TAX,LEASH,DECKGRIP ON A SHORTBOARD?..GO TO ‘ANY’ GLASSING > FACTORY AND THERE IS AT LEAST 2 0R 3 SHAPERS MILLING AROUND AND FOR > APPROX. $120. SHAPING(1.5 HRS) AND $150. GLASSING YOU CAN HAVE A 6’8" > CLEAR,SANDED FINISH WITH FCS FINS FROM SOMEBODY THAT KNOWS HOW TO SURF FOR > SAY $299.,THUS AVOIDING RETAIL, TAX, AND OVERHEAD COSTS. WOULD YOU BUY > YOUR 17 YR OLD A $650. BOARD, HELL NO. DEMAND DRIVES UP COST,RIGHT NOW IS > LOW DEMAND, SUPPORT YOUR ‘LOCAL’ SHAPERS. THE ONES THAT HAVE THE GLOSSY > BOOKLETS ON THE FLOOR AT SURFRIDE ARE PASSING THEIR OVERHEAD TO YOU > ANYWAY. NO DISRESPECT TO SHAPERS(I AM ONE) JUST DISSING THE AFTER > COSTS…ENERGY BILLS ARE GOING UP IN FACTORIES AND THAT WILL EFFECT > PRICE ALSO (SOON). ALSO SURFERS NEED TO KNOW THEIR ROCKER REQUIREMENTS IF > THEY EXPECT A SIMILAR RIDING BOARD TO THEIR PREVIOUS, ANY SHAPER CAN TEACH > YOU!!! ITS EASIER THAN YOU > THINK… You do get what you pay for, yes a new board can get axed on one wave, so can that new SUV on its way out of the dealership. I’ve been shaping for 40 years and it is time the surfing manufactures earn a fair price for their products. We have an industry flooded with wanna be’s willing to sell at any cost just to get their name out there. I was in the same position back in the early 60’s, I’d make a board for any of my pals for next to nothing, ego goes a long way! But it doesn’t put food on the table. I have more work than I can ever get done, so why would I now want to build someone a 260$ short board or a 300$ longboard. I need a new freezer/refrig., is there an ice cubes chance in hell I’ll be able to bro deal the guy at the appliance store, not. My shaping room rent goes up the 1st of Feb., so does my electric. My prices will go up to reflect these changes. The EVO company is one of the few that are truly marketing a surfboard and their target customer is not Johnny Dude I rip, but customers that will pay for a quality product. I look at a jillion boards shaped by heros that are zeros, There is a difference between being a ripper and passing off foam as a professional shape and a competent surfer/shaper. Not all of the NAMES are bogus, but many are getting by on name alone.Many are great shapers, but they too demand a price for their craftsmanship.

Hey Jim it’s a dog-eat-dog world, isn’t it!You(I)expect a good, and fair profit for our work,just as any skilled tradesman would.Then you get the GEEEE guy you’re gouging me thing,and/ or where’s my deal buddy!On the other hand you have the guy that’s willing to undersell you at a drop of the hat to save his business.It’s tough out there ,and their are no clear cut rules.That’s why I LEFT THE BUSINESS OF BUILDING SURFBOARDS FOR A LIVING.I’ve been nursing for a living for say the last 20 years,in that way I can concentrate on the art of surfboard design.I don’t have the resources that you do(wish I did!) ,but I also don’t carry the overhead you have to.Someday I hope that people realize that builders are giving alot to deliver a product that takes many years of skill ,and talent to develop,and that the product is worth every penny he or she paid for.

You do get what you pay for, yes a new board can get axed on one wave, so > can that new SUV on its way out of the dealership. I’ve been shaping for > 40 years and it is time the surfing manufactures earn a fair price for > their products. We have an industry flooded with wanna be’s willing to > sell at any cost just to get their name out there. I was in the same > position back in the early 60’s, I’d make a board for any of my pals for > next to nothing, ego goes a long way! But it doesn’t put food on the > table. I have more work than I can ever get done, so why would I now want > to build someone a 260$ short board or a 300$ longboard. I need a new > freezer/refrig., is there an ice cubes chance in hell I’ll be able to bro > deal the guy at the appliance store, not. My shaping room rent goes up the > 1st of Feb., so does my electric. My prices will go up to reflect these > changes. The EVO company is one of the few that are truly marketing a > surfboard and their target customer is not Johnny Dude I rip, but > customers that will pay for a quality product. I look at a jillion boards > shaped by heros that are zeros, There is a difference between being a > ripper and passing off foam as a professional shape and a competent > surfer/shaper. Not all of the NAMES are bogus, but many are getting by on > name alone.Many are great shapers, but they too demand a price for their > craftsmanship. Jim, Evo does probably put out a quality product like you say, I myself have never seen any of their boards here in Hawaii. I’d like to see one. Does Wayne Lynch actually shape all the boards or are they computer shapes? Although I do agree that you get what you pay for, I feel that $2999 for a replica of one of Wayne’s 60’s roundtails is rather steep. I’d be eager to get one if the price was more reasonable. I was stoked to hear that you lived in Pearl City back in the day. I myself was born and raised there, and have recently moved back since getting divorced. It’s changed a lot since you lived here but I like the equal distance from the north or south shores. I really appreciate the knowledge you’ve unselfishly given here and hope to see more posts from you. Aloha, DT

I think the three line logo on the Evo boards is supposed to be an “E” for Evo. As far as pricing goes, the shop that I visited was selling his 6’2" double enders for $690 and 7’0 round-tail thrusters for $750+. I think that’s just ridiculous! I don’t know who determines the prices of these boards, but I have a feeling that someone’s just trying to take advantage of a popular name and the current “retro” fad in surf design. I was surprised at light-weight sanded finish used on these boards. For that price they could at least gloss the thing for you. Just to set the record straight, I’m not trying to knock Lynch or his designs in any way. If he can get away with charging a small fortune for his hard work, more power to him!

I think the three line logo on the Evo boards is supposed to be an > “E” for Evo.>>> As far as pricing goes, the shop that I visited was selling his 6’2" > double enders for $690 and 7’0 round-tail thrusters for $750+. I think > that’s just ridiculous! I don’t know who determines the prices of these > boards, but I have a feeling that someone’s just trying to take advantage > of a popular name and the current “retro” fad in surf design.>>> I was surprised at light-weight sanded finish used on these boards. For > that price they could at least gloss the thing for you.>>> Just to set the record straight, I’m not trying to knock Lynch or his > designs in any way. If he can get away with charging a small fortune for > his hard work, more power to him! FIRST OF ALL, IF A SHAPER THINKS $100.-$200.(LABOR PROFIT) FOR 2-3 HRS WORK(TYPICAL LONGBOARD TIME) IS UNDERCOMPENSATED HE IS SMELLING TOO MUCH RESIN. CONSTRUCTION FRAMERS EARN APPROX $24-$28. HR FOR A SKILL THAT IS MUCH BROADER. NEITHER OF THESE OCCUPATIONS REQUIRE A COLLEGE DEGREE BY THE WAY… LOSE THE OVERHEAD, BUILD YOUR OWN INSULATED,SOUNDPROOF,FUNCTIONAL SHAPING ROOM ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY! DRIVE YOUR OWN SHAPES TO THE MORE REASONABLE GLASSING FACTORIES. FUNNY HOW EVERY YEAR WHEN SALES DROP OFF AFTER SUMMER SUDDENLY PEOPLE ARE LAID OFF, EVERYBODIES GRUMPY, BACKYARD BUILDERS ARE CONSIDERED ‘VOODOO’ AND NOW GLASS FACTORIES ARE TRIPPING ABOUT THE NEXT ENERGY BILL(GLASSING PRICES WILL RISE). I JUST SAW JOEL TUDER DRIVING A NEW YUKON($40.K) AND LIVING IN DEL MAR. RUSTY OWNS A LARGE UPSCALE HOUSE ON THE HILL IN LA JOLLA AND DRIVING A NEW SILVERADO. LOOKS LIKE SOME PEOPLE ARE EARNING. REMEMBER THIS WHEN YOU READ THE NEXT PUBLISHED SOB STORY IN SWELL.COM OR SURFER MAG. A SHORTBOARD BLANK STILL COSTS APPROX $40.-$50. GLASSING IT STILL COSTS APPROX. $145. SMART BUSINESS PRACTICES DONT SEEM TO ABOUND IN THIS INDUSTRY. I WILL SUPPORT ONLY POSITIVE, INTELLIGENT, RESPECTFUL, BUSINESSPEOPLE (WHO DON’T DROP IN ON ME!)…

FIRST OF ALL, IF A SHAPER THINKS $100.-$200.(LABOR PROFIT) FOR 2-3 HRS > WORK(TYPICAL LONGBOARD TIME) IS UNDERCOMPENSATED HE IS SMELLING TOO MUCH > RESIN. CONSTRUCTION FRAMERS EARN APPROX $24-$28. HR FOR A SKILL THAT IS > MUCH BROADER. NEITHER OF THESE OCCUPATIONS REQUIRE A COLLEGE DEGREE BY THE > WAY… LOSE THE OVERHEAD, BUILD YOUR OWN > INSULATED,SOUNDPROOF,FUNCTIONAL SHAPING ROOM ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY! DRIVE > YOUR OWN SHAPES TO THE MORE REASONABLE GLASSING FACTORIES. FUNNY HOW EVERY > YEAR WHEN SALES DROP OFF AFTER SUMMER SUDDENLY PEOPLE ARE LAID OFF, > EVERYBODIES GRUMPY, BACKYARD BUILDERS ARE CONSIDERED ‘VOODOO’ AND NOW > GLASS FACTORIES ARE TRIPPING ABOUT THE NEXT ENERGY BILL(GLASSING PRICES > WILL RISE). I JUST SAW JOEL TUDER DRIVING A NEW YUKON($40.K) AND LIVING IN > DEL MAR. RUSTY OWNS A LARGE UPSCALE HOUSE ON THE HILL IN LA JOLLA AND > DRIVING A NEW SILVERADO. LOOKS LIKE SOME PEOPLE ARE EARNING. REMEMBER THIS > WHEN YOU READ THE NEXT PUBLISHED SOB STORY IN SWELL.COM OR SURFER MAG. A > SHORTBOARD BLANK STILL COSTS APPROX $40.-$50. GLASSING IT STILL COSTS > APPROX. $145. SMART BUSINESS PRACTICES DONT SEEM TO ABOUND IN THIS > INDUSTRY. I WILL SUPPORT ONLY POSITIVE, INTELLIGENT, RESPECTFUL, > BUSINESSPEOPLE (WHO DON’T DROP IN ON ME!)… out of curiosity – do you shape and ride your own boards?

Mr. Shake up, Your mentality scares me!

FIRST OF ALL, IF A SHAPER THINKS $100.-$200.(LABOR PROFIT) FOR 2-3 HRS > WORK(TYPICAL LONGBOARD TIME) IS UNDERCOMPENSATED HE IS SMELLING TOO MUCH > RESIN. Can a decent board be shaped in 2-3 hours? Also, Mr SHAKEUPTHEOLDUDES, say what you want but can you please not SHOUT THE WHOLE TIME YOU ARE SAYING IT. we can understand you just fine. S.

I guess the time it takes to build your templates, buy your supplies, deliver you boards to the glasser, take orders, clean your shaping room, plus overhead account for nothing in pricing your work.

I was reading a Wayne Lynch interview and he explained the three line logo on his Evo boards. He said that the logo started out as an “E”. The reason he chose the letter “E” is because he had a line of surfboards under the Rusty label called “The Wayne Lynch Evolution.” He also chose this letter because of the classic movie “Evolution” in which he starred. Eventually the “E” became three horizontal dashes. Finally the dashes evolved into three, horizontal, caligraphy-style, brush strokes. The significance of this new logo is that it is the Chinese character for “creative.”

I was reading a Wayne Lynch interview and he explained the three line logo > on his Evo boards. He said that the logo started out as an “E”. > The reason he chose the letter “E” is because he had a line of > surfboards under the Rusty label called “The Wayne Lynch > Evolution.” He also chose this letter because of the classic movie > “Evolution” in which he starred. Eventually the “E” > became three horizontal dashes. Finally the dashes evolved into three, > horizontal, caligraphy-style, brush strokes. The significance of this new > logo is that it is the Chinese character for “creative.” Where’d you see the interview? Online? or published? DT

Published. It’s an Australian surf mag called “The Surfer’s Path.” The article on Lynch was in this month’s issue. I saw it at Boarder’s. It’s probably still on the shelves it you wanna check it out.