ewa beach late 60's

This just in Campbell Grads! Last nite Campbell DEFEATED Kaiser 34 to 6! You know what, I think there’s a Campbell football game the very nite before the reunion if I’m not mistaken. What do you guys think, should we all go and check that out or what?

to be continued…

Yesterday during my lunch break at work I got to see and talk to Kona & Ewa Beach legend Mel Behasa who just got done shaping some boards at Eric Arakawa’s shop in Wailua. What an honor that was. He told me that he and akeae10 kahu Cleigh got some goood things lined up for this reunion coming up. Let’s all, young & older, really try to go to this thing ok.

ON BEHALF OF MIKE NII(8083927072) & KAHU CLEIGH(8082699823) IT’S A POTLUCK! SO WE GOTTA CALL MIKE AT NUMBER ABOVE TO RSVP AND TELL HIM WHAT WE’RE BRINGING OK GANG.

Trojan62 how are you and your bro’s doing? Doesn’t it make you wanna come to our reunion! Please tell your brothers that I, Frank Aragon said “howzit Brah”! Butch and I both get to (by the grace of Jesus) get to live on the North Shore of Oahu and still surf. Ask your brother Chris who the other guy was in that vw bug that morning they took us to check out Swabiland and we heard Crosby,Stills,& Nash’s 1st album all for the 1st time.

Sharkcountry; you gotta admit, if you think about it, with all the cast of characters since page 1 and all that’s been written, kinda has the potential for possibly “reality tv” nah only joke! All the memories and people behind then.

to be continued…

Butch- I remember one morning I went with you fellas ina guys 52 chevy to Chuns Reef. Me, Duke Dougherty,You and I can’t remember the other local guys names. But we got to Chuns just as the sun was coming up with perfect 4 to 7 footers! We surfed out pretty much having our own way until Ben Aipa’s crew came out about (p:00 a.am ) and they were super aggressive anf took over. But we were pretty much surfed out and went in. But I do remember you and Jonathan Crouch (who was with us tearing it up!) And that was early part of 1971. You might remember that I played drums then and still do (no waves in Salem,Oregon my brother) But at that time I would say my brother Chris Mize was in a class like you and some of the best, he moved to Maui then.

I worked here in Salem for 28 years in an Ice Cream plant and now retired. with apension and disability check Chris works here in Salem at Sears auto and is the garage manager. We are both divorced, and I had to pay child support for 17 years thats why I never made it back to EwaBeach. Lance works selling Honda cars and is now located in San Francisco. Lance recently told me about this site! It’s a great way to reconnect with old friends! Seems like ther’s some sort of re-union about Kevin Johns. Sad, very sad! I started surfing in 61 and remember Kevin and his brother Rick from those early days I think I was 13 and Rick 14 then.I always say that 1970 in Ewa Beach was the best year of my life. I remember living in a tent with Mark Gardner, hidden at O. Beach for 3 months until somebody finked him and me out and that was it. Mark stayed with me in 73 in Waikiki when I was studying Chinese Kenpo under Prof. Walter Godin, and I saw some EwaBeach people come through the International Market Pl.where I worked in 73 and that is the last time I saw any of you folk’s Butch i think you’re tops and anything I can do or supply any info i’m at your service! Trojan62 (TroyMize)

Butch- I remember one morning I went with you fellas ina guys 52 chevy to Chuns Reef. Me, Duke Dougherty,You and I can’t remember the other local guys names. But we got to Chuns just as the sun was coming up with perfect 4 to 7 footers! We surfed out pretty much having our own way until Ben Aipa’s crew came out about (p:00 a.am ) and they were super aggressive anf took over. But we were pretty much surfed out and went in. But I do remember you and Jonathan Crouch (who was with us tearing it up!) And that was early part of 1971. You might remember that I played drums then and still do (no waves in Salem,Oregon my brother) But at that time I would say my brother Chris Mize was in a class like you and some of the best, he moved to Maui then.

I worked here in Salem for 28 years in an Ice Cream plant and now retired. with apension and disability check Chris works here in Salem at Sears auto and is the garage manager. We are both divorced, and I had to pay child support for 17 years thats why I never made it back to EwaBeach. Lance works selling Honda cars and is now located in San Francisco. Lance recently told me about this site! It’s a great way to reconnect with old friends! Seems like ther’s some sort of re-union about Kevin Johns. Sad, very sad! I started surfing in 61 and remember Kevin and his brother Rick from those early days I think I was 13 and Rick 14 then.I always say that 1970 in Ewa Beach was the best year of my life. I remember living in a tent with Mark Gardner, hidden at O. Beach for 3 months until somebody finked him and me out and that was it. Mark stayed with me in 73 in Waikiki when I was studying Chinese Kenpo under Prof. Walter Godin, and I saw some EwaBeach people come through the International Market Pl.where I worked in 73 and that is the last time I saw any of you folk’s Butch i think you’re tops and anything I can do or supply any info i’m at your service! Trojan62 (TroyMize)

Butch- Great to hear from you! It’s been over 40 years since I’ve seen you fellas.Thank’s for the compliment! But I think you were the greatest of that timeMy time was 61 to 64, I had a hard time adjusting to the short board but kepy trying. Swabbyland was surfed by only a few of us then (in 67 to 71) The Mize boy’s, Arhelgers, Gearbrant brothers ,Gardners (CHris and Mark)  Dick DeLong, Jack Biederback (forgive my spelling if I’m wrong)I think T. Phillips was also with us, I remember that day as yesterday. We paddled out and it was just like #3’s downtown only the water was crystal clear. I went underwater outside to get a look at the reef and one couls see  for at least 100yards! Everybody had a great time, with plenty of guys getting covered up on the 6 to 10 foot waves. I should have marked that day down on the calender Butch but I do know that it was January of 1970! One of the reasons I remember that so well is that after we surrfed out we went to Officers beach to hang out. I was sitting on the side with Tommy Phillips on the little cement wall. A fellow named Hal Mount came over and started squawking about something. So Tommy Phillips gets up and punches him right in the middle of his back. Well Hal was looking like a bow, his back bowed in the middle and he was trying to suck some air in (he made some very funny sounds out of his mouth and lungs) I was laughing so hard my stomach had pains in it. Then I asked Tommy why he did that and Tommy said "Because he was hassling my mind eh!!"Tro Mize

Troy, so good to hear from you! You and Lance and Chris were all great surfers. Frank Aragon and I were talking the other day and the first time we ever saw Swabiland was with Chris, he took us there from O Beach. Also a first time to hear Crosby, Stills and Nash for the first time. Frank says it was an 8 track. I think their car was a green bug, but not sure. I know that you guys must have been some of the first guys to surf there. Probably seen some amazing days out there. What are you and your brothers doing? I hope that all you guys can come.

ButchPerreira

To Tommy, This is Troy I did surf, from 61 to 71 but I liked the late time! I haven’t surfed in 40 years since I lived with Chris on Maui. I surfed Honolua Bay last time. We live in Salem Oregon. Lance lives in Frisco. Hope to hear from you Tommy. I guess you don’t remember the times I took you surfing in the red 70 Toyota truck some 42 years ago I remember those days like yesterday, wish they were still here. But we think of you guys all the time. Do you fellows remember Guy Kamaka? He was a great Ewa Beach surfer, he now lives in the Seattle area. I think he was in Nam 3 times! Thoughts and Prayers with you Fellas, Troy Mize p.s. I’m now 64 Tommy also my name in here is Trojan 62

I just found this site. My name is Troy MIze.Lance and Chris Mize are my brothers. WE surfed and lived in Ewa Beach from 67 to 71. We lived at 91906 Papipi Place. Had great times there with T. Phillips, Dave Ponds, Chris,Mark and Steve Gardner. I played drums at night on Hotel st. with High Speed and surfed in the day. It was the best time of our lives! We should never have left. I remember surfing on Christmas day at Howbush completely alone 4 to 7 foot perfect glassy waves by myself for 3 hours. My brothers were to tired to come with me. They thought the surf would be 2 feet! When I didn’t come right back they realized what was going on and got pissed off at themselves for not going with me, that was Dec.25, 1967  I knew most of the guys in here at least by site if not name. Hey Tommy this is your old friend Troy write to me in here bra. Troy Mize p.s. I went to Radford in 63. I was the only Haole in my class at Highlands Intermediate from 1960 to 1963, Good fun eh!!

You are so very right. Everytime I think of Ewa Beach tears come

I am wondering if any of you gentlemen surfers ever made it to Cape St. Francis South Africa?

I heard the waves are magnificent over there. Wow Mike, you certainly are the talk of the town!

Well good guys like you deserve the praise. I'm shure it was a big effort in organizing this all

time get together, and I pray that it is a woderful event to remember. Hope it could be a yearly

get together, because my first novel should have gone to press by then, and I will have something

to offer, besides my delusions. I have prayed for all the brothers and sisters in Ewa Beach, since

I made my abrupt departure in 2005, when my papa died, and I really miss everyone. Remember

keep loving God and he will love you.

God Bless, Naky Anderson

What Squideye, Dabouy, & Akeae10 said, if you put it all together in a sandwich, so to speak, and eat it, take it in, and humble yourself, it’s “broke the mouth”, taste so good if you know what I mean. 

to be continued…

E Naky! Rather than engage in a barrage of verbal insults and accusational justification I choose to take the high road. If I offended you then I ask for your forgiveness, and I choose to forgive you too! Having said that, " E Na Mamo o Puuloa mai poina na la ae oia!" Descendants of Puuloa (Ewa, Ewa Beach) remember the days of your youth! Hana hou, E Kalamai oe iau! E Hooponopono kakou! E Kupono kakou! E ka olelo ka make, e ka olelo ke ola!E olelo ke ola wale no! Once again, I forgive you, lets seek what is right and truthful! Lets stand for what is right! The word is life the word is death! Lets only speak life!

E olelo wale no! Nuff said!

Cleigh

now matter how far we’ve traveled, what corners of the planet we live, the draw is still back to our youth, a place where the troubles were washed away by the warm salt air and the sound of the waves. You’re right, an ohana connected by this common thread, surfing and the place that is where it all started for each of us.

Ewa might not look quite the same as it did when I first walked on the sand at Hau Bush, even from what I read from you who lived there, born there and hope to be laid at rest there, it is still home in our hearts.

Remember Highway 61 Revisited?  Keep it a memory. Save it from the past but move on. Things are not what they used to be. The real things that we had are what we keep. The rest was garbage but worth going through.  As we got older we realized what was real and what was seamingly real. As Franky Lee and Judus Priest. Reality is a hard road. Remember all of us have been there and with the help of our friends, our Ohana, all or most of us have survived. Some of us were a little crazy in our past but have mellowed through the years. The craziness should be remembered but not carried on. What was then is not what is now. Though we have gone different paths and different places, the one thing that has not changed is the place we came from and the freinds we grew up with. And if you don’t underestimate me I won’t underestimate you. Just a thought.

ITS AMAZING HOW PEOPLE TRY TO THROW MUD AT YOU, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU BELIEVED THEM TO BE FRIENDS.
YOU KNOW TOM, AND YOUR FELLOW CRITISIZER CAN DIG A HOLE AND CLIMB IN IT. I HAD NO USE FOR YOU THEN, AND I
DON’T NOW. I DOUBT YOU EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF DELUSIONAL. HAVE A GOOD LIFE. I’LL SEE YOU WHEN THE
TABLES CHANGE. ADIEU!

NAKY ANDERSON

ITS AMAZING HOW PEOPLE TRY TO THROW MUD AT YOU, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU BELIEVED THEM TO BE FRIENDS.
YOU KNOW TOM, AND YOUR FELLOW CRITISIZER CAN DIG A HOLE AND CLIMB IN IT. I HAD NO USE FOR YOU THEN, AND I
DON’T NOW. I DOUBT YOU EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF DELUSIONAL. HAVE A GOOD LIFE. I’LL SEE YOU WHEN THE
TABLES CHANGE. ADIEU!

NAKY ANDERSON

Thanks Tommy. So true. Reading some of his stuff, so delusional. Funny yeah! He was my neighbor but he no address me. Maybe cause he know…My hope, he genuinely comes to a better place in his life.

Thanks Tommy. So true. Reading some of his stuff, so delusional. Funny yeah! He was my neighbor but he no address me. Maybe cause he know…My hope, he genuinely comes to a better place in his life.

Eh! Everyone, please contact Mike Nii, get your head count to him. The pavillions can only hold so many people. Mike both Cal and myself= 10.

Also make sure you all get your food list to him. This site could and shouild serve as the main proponet for this.

Cleigh

Randall ,  cLINTON, hARRY, ALEXANDER ,Bernard ,  Anderson.   U   Still  haven’t   lost  it . U  sure  can  Bullshit .  I  must  warn  U .  All  the  Ewa Beach  Boy’z  especially  E. B.  Road   guys  always  watch  this  site . So  watch  what  U  say .  We  all  know  U  .  Aloha   T.P.