Fabric inlay nose patch advice....

Hello all, firstly thanks for all your hard earned and generously shared knowledge…

I have just done a nose patch fabric inlay on a 9’0. I glassed the base and did a cutlap to meet the edge of the fabric where the pinline will be. All went well.

My question is - Would you do deck patch inlay of glass to meet the fabric, then one layer over the whole deck ( glass is 6oz ) or can i just do two layers as normal? I pressed the edges of the inlay down when " leather hard " so it would be nice and flat… The board is clear ( no pig or tint ) but im not fond of freelapping, I like cut laps.

So, would i just sand my lapline and glass deck as normal or do a glass inlay? or is this just personal preference?? 

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks …

…when I make longboards all have fabric inlays and I put 3 4oz on the deck so I laminate all at once.

Also, I never put a fabric inlay only in the nose; when I do that, I put other one on the tail to compensate; but normally I put them in the middle.

Don’t do a glass inlay. Feather the lap line as best possible then glass over the whole deck. 

How did you do the the cut lap?

All the best

Reverb, 3 4oz and fabric , is that what you mean?

Greg, I taped off my pin line and papered the deck, wrapped over onto paper then shon a lamp from the bottom and turned all other lights off and used a razor to cut along tape line. Then while still " leatherhard" I pressed the lapline of glass down flush with the foam. There is now very little difference in height , maybe a light sand along lap and then the nose and tail corners. Also the fabric was very thin cotton and I used very little resin and sqeegee’d it really well to avoid air bubbles. 

So I figure sand laps lightly, blow off, then mark my cut line on base ( with pinline tool and a nail ) mask off base, then glass with 2 layers of 6 oz and carry on as normal? Does that sound right?

Thanks again for all and any advice.

Yeah that’s the way to do it. Sounds like you have it under control. 

No inlay required.  Glass the whole deck at once. 

Very nice inlay there uncle Ed 

All the best

I call this surfboard art at $3.99 a yard.

did you do the bottom and cutlaps before the inlay or the inlay first?

I can’t answer for UncleD, but I would have glassed the bottom first, then the fabric inlay, then the top glass over everything.