Fabric inlay repair for epoxy

Guys i know this is probably old hat for some but here is the deal. I have an older epoxy board that i need to do some repair on the nose. I wanted to do some fabric because i would never match color. Can you lay fabric over existing glass and hot coat it on then sand and polish. Would this work or do i need to cut away all glass back to foam and glass over fabric.

I would say No. I did do it once without any glass, but always better to put glass over the fabric.

If you’re really good and you can be sure you won’t sand through the fabric, and everything’s gonna look right, you could try.

I have a hard time imagining a scenario where cutting away glass just to add fabric to cover a repair would make sense. Maybe you could post up some pics (or post a link to pics), so we could have an idea of what you’re dealing with??? How much glass are we talking about removing?

I have hidden a repair with fabric over glass but I added a layer of 4oz glass over the fabric to ensure impact resistance. It was an old board so I wasn’t worried about adding weight.

Thanks Huck. Part of the desire is to also add the i lay to the existing board as well. From whay ive seen the fabric needs to go right to the foam then glass over that. I would actually have to cut away the existing glass where i want to add fabric and re glass those areas and that i cut away glass.

Did you just lay the fabric over existing glass? Or cut away the glass and put the fabric right on the foam.

A little of both. I cut away a delam and filled that area (trying to match the filler to the board colour), then changed tack and covered it with fabric

Here are the pics of the process

I’ve used fabric to hide a repair a few times, but usually try to add a layer of at least 4 oz over the top. One time I didn’t, just resin over fabric, I was never really happy with it and later removed it & did a wood inlay instead.

Here is the original board, the fabric coverup, and the wood inlay.