FCS fin question

Ok I have another question. I have laminated the bottom of my board. Lam job went and looks great! One problem…I forgot to put my fin patches in for the FCS fins. I have one layer of 4oz cloth on the bottom. You are supposed to have 12oz total for the fins. Will the glass job look ok if I add the patches now? I still have the hot coat to go, but do not know if it will mess up the overall glass job. Thanks for any help! It is much appreciated! -Jeff-

I did the same thing a long time ago. Did you cut your deck lap long enough to cover the area? If so you would have 8oz over the area and you can get by with that. If you only have 4oz over the area you can put patches over it, I would suggest 6 oz if you have it, if not 4 oz will work. Obviously it will not be as strong as the suggested application but I did not have any problems with the board I did this way. The plugs did not break free or let in water. Just make sure you put enough sanding resin (don’t go crazy) around the patches so you won’t sand down to them. And take your time sanding over and around them. Another option, if you don’t want to do this remember it is not to late to glass some fins on.

Jeff: Not to worry. Just apply your patches where they need to be. When you hotcoat be a little more generous around the perimeter of the patches so the any outline of this added cloth will be less noticeable. I don’t normally mind the added weight of a whole layer of cloth on the entire tail area. I like to trim the cloth neatly in a V or something neat since you will see a darker ouline around any added lam layer. Good luck Tom>>> Ok I have another question. I have laminated the bottom of my board. Lam > job went and looks great! One problem…I forgot to put my fin patches in > for the FCS fins. I have one layer of 4oz cloth on the bottom. You are > supposed to have 12oz total for the fins. Will the glass job look ok if I > add the patches now? I still have the hot coat to go, but do not know if > it will mess up the overall glass job. Thanks for any help! It is much > appreciated! -Jeff-

Ok I have another question. I have laminated the bottom of my board. Lam > job went and looks great! One problem…I forgot to put my fin patches in > for the FCS fins. I have one layer of 4oz cloth on the bottom. You are > supposed to have 12oz total for the fins. Will the glass job look ok if I > add the patches now? I still have the hot coat to go, but do not know if > it will mess up the overall glass job. Thanks for any help! It is much > appreciated! -Jeff- yo jeff!..I’ve put in FCS with only single 4 oz. glass top/bottom and have had no problem. no extra lap or patches!! try it!!!bj

Same as BJ I have as well put fcs plugs in with only 4oz of cloth in place and I as well have never had them pop on me. Some boards are a year old and have been surfed a lot in all conditions and the plugs seem like they are fine.

Same as BJ I have as well put fcs plugs in with only 4oz of cloth in place > and I as well have never had them pop on me. Some boards are a year old > and have been surfed a lot in all conditions and the plugs seem like they > are fine. The 12 ounce schedule for FCS and Red X installations is not to prevent them from popping. It is to minimize the amount of mush deck in that area. All boards eventually get mush deck. There are several factors that increase the rate of mush deck. A light glass schedule, an excessive amount of foam shaved from the deck side of the blank, and a significant amount of foot pressure are the most prevalent reasons decks delaminate or get mushy. The foam of a surfboard blank is much softer than the column of resin that the plugs or boxes are mounted in. Consequently, if you go light on your patches you are just asking to get cracks around the area where the resin column meets the deck.

Once agian thank you all for your help! I don’t know what I would do without Swaylocks!! You guys rock!! -Jeff-