fcs fins

Anyone want to give me a general idea on how to install fcs plugs on a newly shaped blank? And also, what does it mean to vacuum bag?? Thanks in advance!

Anyone want to give me a general idea on how to install fcs plugs on a > newly shaped blank? And also, what does it mean to vacuum bag?? Thanks in > advance! I want to preface this by saying that I have only installed one set and I did it without the help of the installation kit. While I hear the kit is helpful, it’s also expensive. Experts may disagree with everything that follows! First, for a template. I went to FCS’ site, found their template, and used photoshop to scale it up to actual size (A photocopier would work but this has to be EXACTLY right). Using the template, mark the desired holes on the bottom of your glassed (but not hotcoated) board. Next, you need a hole saw to drill through the laminating resin/glass. The saw should be 1 1/4" if I’m not mistaken. You should drill the hole and router out the foam so that the plugs have space around them that can be filled with resin. Also, while the plug space should not extend to the glass on the other side of the board, the rim of the hole should reach the other side. I think that’s why the pro versions have stickers on the deck of the board, in part because it hides the plug. When you’re ready to install the fins. Go to a craft store and by some modeling clay. Not the pottery kind, the plastic non-drying kind (it comes in a number of colors). Put your fins in the plugs. Put the board on a flat surface and experiment with fin/plug combo. Make a plan for the angle of your outside fins (a protractor helps). Practice using masking tape and clay to get the angles right. Now mask off an area around the holes to prevent excessive resin dripping. Use sanding resin with some strengthening additive (like chopped fibers, others may disagree, see what FCS recommends). Fill the holes about 2/3 full of resin. Put the fin/plugs in the holes and quickly adjust the angles. Sit back and wait for the resin to gel. When it gels, slice of the extra resin to save some work. Now comes the easy part. After the resin is completely cured, take the fins out of the plugs. You just have to sand the plugs to be flush with the board surface. Be sure to protect the glass with masking tape because the dust from the plugs will get into the glass and “stain” your board. When you hot coat or gloss coat, just be sure to mask off the holes. If resin gets in there the fins won’t fit! Good luck. I hope this was helpful.