FCS II plug dimensions?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone out there could supply me with the dimensions of an FCS II plug? Acutally, all I really need is the plug’s width at its narrowest point.

I have the router jig, but not the bit, and was thinking of putting together my own version of the bit from my local woodworking tool store - basically, it’s just an excuse for me to visit the store, which is one of my favourite places on god’s green earth.

I’ve only done one instal with the jig, but from memory the plug was something like 6mm (~1/4") narrower than the jig. I’d like to confirm this difference, however, before I dive into building my own version. The bit that you can buy with the jig has a bearing on it with a diameter that much wider than the blade, which ensures the top of the hole mirrors the outline of the plug almost exactly. However, it’s a fluted bit, meaning the bottom of the hole is wider than the top. 

My idea was to buy an angled dovetail bit, then add a bearing to it that’s wider than the cutting blade by the same difference as the plug is to the jig. Does that make sense? If not, please disregard everything I’ve written except the first two sentences…

Thanks in advance from South Australia.

You don’t need to modify an angled dovetail bit. Just buy a pattern routing bit. That is a staight dado bit with a bearing above. I buy mine from www.rockler.com

Hope this helps!

Yeah, I’ve got a couple of those, but the difference between the width of the jig and the width of the plug is not the same as the difference between the width of the bearing and the cutting width of the blade, so I’m still cutting a recess that’s too big for the plug. I want to rig something up that’s more accurate than what I already have, which is why I need the dimensions of the plug. 

Anyone got one lying around that they could quickly measure and send through the dims? I just need to know how wide the plug is as its narrowest point (the hips).

Cass-I ordered a couple new ones from Rockler a few days ago to replace my old dull bits.I spoke with customer support and theirs come with a 1/2" dia. bearing - 1/2"dia. bit 1/4" dia. shaft so theres no offset. The jigs I use need the offset so I will just move my 5/8" dia bearing from my old bits to the new bits. Good luck!

Don´t have a plug at hand, but I looked into the file for my DIY jig. (my jig has offset, the white dotted line is the plug)

The plug should be apr. 26.5mm at the narrow part.

[[{“fid”:“109805”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Gracias Bud, that makes a whole lot of sense. 

Thanks man, much appreciated.

That’s pretty much exactly what I did with the last instal I did, but I wasn’t happy with the result. The recess was still too big for the plug and allowed too much movement during the setting process. I made it work in the end, but it wasn’t an ideal outcome.

The narrower the tolerance between the plug and the recess, the neater it is and the stronger the plug instal (and there is less scope for the fuck-up fairy to come visiting).