FCS ii repair advice

Ok. No photos cause it’s way too hard to see anyways. I have a sci-fi slater designs and the two side thruster fin boxes are leaking water. One has a minute crack in the slot of the fin box and water squeezes out when I press on the side of the box on the foam. The second one has a crack at the back of the plug where the finbox meets the foam.

Do I:
-remove boxes completely, let dry then replace?
-drill holes or route around and replace with foam ing gorilla then glass?

I’m thinking the first one. Sigh

FCS II in EPS is a fricken joke I reckon. Way too much force for that density of foam.

As in the foam around the box is wet and leaking water, kinda squishy

Fcs2 boxes in EPS are fine if you aren’t buying them in piece of shit boards.

Thanks for the advice! Great design, peice of shit construction.

Care to share any repair advice?

As Acqua implied above, the foam has just about nothing to do with the problem. It is the install method. Probably sanded down the boxes too aggressively. As has been discussed here in various places, it’s all about the bonding of the box flange to the covering glass. (Unless you go to the trouble of seating the box in an oversized hole and surrounding with glass tied to the covering glass, as is often done with FU longboard boxes)

I just think that the repetitive force up and down regardless of any flange/glass join cannot be good for 1.5 EPS. Explain why the centre box remains intact and solid? Wouldn’t have anything to do with the divinycell stringer?! Might work in PU well-higher density. Once EPS is compromised around the box it becomes a sponge.

I reckon fin-s box design makes a lot more sense.

This. They are just OK in poly. Not a fan at all in eps.

Thankyou!!

So I’ve ripped out the boxes, got it sitting with some nappies stuffed onto the cavity to draw any moisture out! Pretty funny. I’ve also chipped (at this point with the amount of dings this board is a full thrashterpeice now) the locking wheel in the boxes flat, so now it’ll work more like a futures fin. One screw at the back, reverse futures. just so the sinking box thing won’t happen again.