FCS installation video...

I´ve trawled through the archives but to no avail. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I´m just about to try and put FCS plugs into my second home made board but am getting a bit nervous and would like to see how it´s done by someone who knows what he´s doing.

I bought all the stuff I needed to do an FCS install from FOAMEZ.com. I also printed instructions from their web site.

Thanks for that. I don´t have the official kit so was hoping someone had some advice on how to intall without it.

http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=1635

http://www.foamez.com/pdfs/FCSManual.pdf

Cheerio!

I advise strongly NOT to attempt FCS installation without the install kit.

Everyone I know who’s had problems with FCS plugs pulling out has failed to install them properly… meaning using the manufacturers specs, tools and materials.

I’m no supermechanic-carpenter type, but I’ve installed PLENTY of FCS plugs and have never had a single problem. Ever.

It’s worth the investment.

Trouble is, it´s nigh on impossible to get your hands on official kit down here in Brazil. At least as far as I know.

Thanks for those links.

You can do it without the kit no problem, but you will have to come up with a few things fron a hardware store to do it. 1. hole saw 2. Forrester bit 3. a piece of pipe or conduit. 4. an adjustable square, Since you won’'t have the jigs necessary to align the cant to the proper degree you will need to use the actual fins aligned against the adjst. square. Here is an important question; Have you properiy marked the position of the fins with regard to toe-in?

Howzit sky, Doesn’t Brazil have FCS reps? Can’t believe they wouldn’t since surfing is such a big sport there. Check their website for any info about reps.Aloha,Kokua

I planned on doing the cant with the same tool I used when I did my fixed fins. Toe-in will be the same as on a previous quad that I made.

Unbelievably the web site has no rep in Brazil so I´ve sent off a mail requesting contact details.

Howzit sky, If I was you I would get in touch with FCS and see if you could be a rep for them. There is a need for one in your area.Aloha,Kokua

skysareblue,

I would agree with NJSurfer and Kokua…

Do what you can to get the FCS install video and, especially, the kit and do the install right…it is super easy to do it the correct way - with special attention paid to proper glassing, on top of proper drilling and resin work, which is very easy with their install kit.

The major screw-ups and failures of the system seem to happen when the installer wings it or doesn’t follow FCS procedures.

“If you’re not prepared to do the job correctly…you should prepare to fail.”

Told to me by the man who taught me alot about carpentry…

Pete

Hey Skysareblue - I have the FCS install video on VHS tape, if you post or PM your mailing address, I will send it to you. I’m not 100% sure it will work in Brazil (do you use NTSC or PAL?), but it’s worth a try I suppose?

aloha,

K

Quote:

If I was you I would get in touch with FCS and see if you could be a rep for them. There is a need for one in your area

For sure! Can´t believe there isn´t one down here yet.

Quote:

I have the FCS install video on VHS tape, if you post or PM your mailing address, I will send it to you. I’m not 100% sure it will work in Brazil (do you use NTSC or PAL?), but it’s worth a try I suppose?

Keith, that is amazingly generous of you. Sways at it´s best once more. Luckily I´ve got a video that playes both systems :slight_smile:

skysareblue,

How are you getting your FCS cups and fins? Seems that whoever can get the cups should be able to get the install kit and/or video…just a thought…

The rep idea sounds good too…access to kool stuff there across the board (no pun intended).

Pete

Quote:

How are you getting your FCS cups and fins?

From a dodgy back street supplier who makes trips up to the US and comes back with bags full of goodies!!!

you can phone (1 321 777 1280) or fax (1 321 777 2071) the florida distributor and see if they can arrange to sell you the kit/supplies, etc…

ok the vid’s in the mail along with a marking jig. Watch it a few times and pass it along if you can… not that hard to learn but it certainly is worth doing right if you’re going to do it at all!

aloha,

K

PS I don’t know why they don’t have the installation video on their web page, if I remember right ProBox does, and it’s always helpful to watch something done at least once before you do it yourself…

Thanks a lot Keith. I´ll definitely try and pass it on to another novice when I´ve watched and learned.