FCS Replacement Screws

Aloha Sways:

I checked some of the old threads but I could not find my answer. I just need to know the size, name and where I can purchase FCS replacement screws. I hope to find it at NAPA, Checkers or Home Depot with A4-80 quality rating.

BTW, never allow children near a surfboard especiall if they have a FCS key.

Mahalo,

D

Howzit UncleD, Try Ace hardware, they have that section with drawers full of all kinds of different screws, washers, etc… I’ve seen the kind of screws you need there. I used to have lots of them from old plugs, but my garage is in chaos and can’t find them or I would just send you some.Aloha,Kokua

My son just collects the keys, but now I’ll know to watch him around the boards. If you can still

locate (or borrow) one screw, you can go to the store and match up; if not, a lot of surf shops have replacement

screws. Just don’t get the oversize ones they sell for stripped holes. You want the OEM ones. If you

get them at the hardware, etc., make sure they’re stainless.

FCS’ web is surffcs.com , there might be info there. (and new fin designs also).

Mike

Quote:

My son just collects the keys, but now I’ll know to watch him around the boards. If you can still

locate (or borrow) one screw, you can go to the store and match up; if not, a lot of surf shops have replacement

screws. Just don’t get the oversize ones they sell for stripped holes. You want the OEM ones. If you

get them at the hardware, etc., make sure they’re stainless.

FCS’ web is surffcs.com , there might be info there. (and new fin designs also).

Mike

Type 316 (or 316L if welding) is the stainless alloy with max resistant to sea water. But for intermittent exposure–such as with a surfboard–other alloys may work OK (e.g. 18-8, 321, 324).

Warning… for some reason some of the fin box screws (Futures, FCS, others?) now have a coarser thread than they used to. Presumably, this keeps the hamfisted from stripping them so quickly. But you have to use the right ones - new or old - or you’ll strip it out.

I have a board my daughter pulled from a dumpster. Nice and white (not yellowed at all) and after a little patching, fully functional EXCEPT it had no fins or screws, those having been removed. Okay I got fins, but no one seems to sell the correct screws. I have ONE screw that fits, with a 2mm key. FCS keys are larger, forget the exact size. To top it off I was driving around with that 2mm key and lost it. Well it never fit anything else but that one screw, and now…

Quote:
Aloha Sways:

I checked some of the old threads but I could not find my answer. I just need to know the size, name and where I can purchase FCS replacement screws. I hope to find it at NAPA, Checkers or Home Depot with A4-80 quality rating.

BTW, never allow children near a surfboard especiall if they have a FCS key.

Mahalo,

D

Number four set screw (3/32" allen key)

6-32 threads

I have no idea how long…3/8" maybe!!!

Make sure to get stainless - 316 grade is standard for marine grade!

Titanium even better, but tough to find. Never degrades even in salt water.

You should be able to find at any reasonable hardware store, a quarter per set screw or something like that. Many surf shops will spot you one. At least quality shops will.

Unc D - how many do you need?

Aloha Keith:

Four.

Thanks,

Dennis

Uncle D

I just pulled one out of an FCS plug & measured it…

Its a #10-24 (.190" diameter x 24 threads per inch) x 5/16" long (.312), cup point set screw. (not a 6-32). Stainless steel. If you can get 316SS great, if not 304SS (18-8) is ok.

Howzit Unc D - I have a whole batch of set screws for ProBox, which I am pretty sure are the same as FCS - happy to send you what you need if you PM your address to me.

Maybe ProBox Larry or Hand-shaper can confirm that the setscrews are (or are not) the same? (Would be good to know in any event.)

aloha,

Uncle D

Replaced 9 FCS plugs in the last 2 weeks, unfortunately trash pick up was Monday.

Still, I found 3 busted plugs with screws in the garage and can easily pull a screw out

of an unused plug if need be (I can replace it when I get the next one for repair).

Give me an address in the next 1 to 2 hours (before the post office closes) and

they are on their way.

Paul

Sorry I could not respond sooner. I had to actually work. Mahalo for the support.

Dennis Varde

47-363 Mawaena Street

Kaneohe, HI 96744

4 screws just posted.

Thank you so much!

Uncle D, let us know how many show up.

(I’m thinking you will have a draw full in a week. That is Sways. I’ll send mine as soon as I find a stamp. )

Again thanks guys! I’ll sell the excess on EBAY and will make a contibution to Sways! (just joking about the EBAY part!)

Mahalo a nui loa!

D

Paul:

I got the screws.

Thanks! PM me if you need anything frow Hawaii.

Aloha,

D

Uncle D

Thanks very much for the rice paper, wow you

really sent me quite a supply.

It arrived in my PO Box thursday so I guess the

mail is pretty fast.

By the way, does this rice paper go thru the

printer on its own or should I tape it to

another piece of printer paper first.

Thanks again

Paul

Howzit Paul, If it’s the same paper that oneula sends me then yes you can just run the paper with out attaching to another piece of paper. It is a little tricky but not impossible and I do it all the time. I put only 1 sheet in the printer at a time because the paper is so thin the printer wants to pull more than 1 sheet at a time. As soon as the printer pulls a sheet in I stack the next sheet in the feeder. I some times do over 100 sheets in one sitting and it would take forever to attach each one to another sheet. I use a top loading printer but a bottom feeding printer might work even better.Aloha,Kokua