Fiberglass Fins Patch

Hi,

I just laminate the bottom with 6oz fiberglass. I forgot to lay the football shaped patch over the Fusion fin box. How bad is this?

Thanks
Milan

No biggie assuming you’re going to hotcoat and sand it. Just put 4oz football patches on top of the lam. Saturate well then use a yellow bondo spreader to squeeze it off good and flat at the edges. When cured Lightly baste the edges with sanding resin and feather it in even more flush. Brush on some styrene if necessary. The preceding two cents is for PE resin

Hi Bud. If i choose not to lay the patch, will it be strong enough to hold the fin box in place? I am using epoxy resin on EPS. My lam schedule is 6ozx2 on deck and 6oz bottom. Fin box is FCS Fusion. Thanks

If it was mine to do, I would tape off the football (or rectangle with mitered corners) on top of the first layer of glassing on the bottom, apply a bias cut patch of glass and resin over the tape, and do a cut lap or grind lap to make a clean edge. The existing epoxy will need to be sanded and clean where the patches need to adhere. This is the same procedure I would try anytime I want to add a neat patch over an existing layer.

PS then do like Bud says and sand/baste edges for a nice blend.

Would not be very confident without a lam patch for boxes set into EPS foam.

If the boxes were pasted into nice tight holes in a PU foam blank I would say you’re probably fine with a single layer 6oz lam. Again to be clear I’m a backyarder.