fiberglass/polyester + Cores PE, NRG , PP?

good morning to all, I have been reading this forum for many years and I have dared to write. vivo astigarraga, in the Basque country, Cantabrian sea, very close to France, famous for chops and apple cider

For years I have made surfboards for me and my friends. lately I have made a few paipos of foam and fiberglass, but they are very rigid and my ribs hurt

I want to combine the materials of the surfboards with those of the bodyboard = fiberglass + polyester HEGARDT H61-UV + Polyethylene (PE) + Polypropylene (PP) … NRG …

the products that interest me the most are:

1.3 pcf pp for the core= nrg  

deck material  pp / pe open cell 8 l density 

is this possible? Are these materials compatible? I do not want to use epoxy resin or stick to the board. HDPE / Surlyn. I want to laminate with glass fiber and uv polyester

Where can I find these products in Spain, France or surrounding countries? I will get very expensive shipping

I pass some pictures of my last paipo

I have written this in the mypaipo forum, I have been recommended to ask here

Excuse me for my English, I am using the translator. thank you very much to all

Hi,

Welcome.

I hear what you say about wanting to glass the open cell foam to the board.

In putting soft decks on kneeboards for 30 years I’ve made a lot of mistakes. Trying to countersink decks and use resin to stick the foam on were just two.

I use 10mm closed cell EVA foam glued on with industrial contact adhesive. The foam can be sanded and carved. I fair the edges and take about 2mm out of thickness in carving the top for grip. I use power tools (sander, router, dremel for carving). Casey at Covepads.com does a good commercial product.

I understand if you wish to ignore my experience :wink:

I’m finding it hard to find polypropylene 1.3 density in Spain, so I’ve been spinning my head and using materiel that I can find.  hdpe for now, not in a small format, but everything is to keep looking

red_boards:I used your idea to put eva foam

A friend told me that whenever I put fiberglass and resin in a paipo, being so small compared to a surfboard I will kill flex, I will always stay rigid, I put the layers that I put on. This idea may be interesting, as there is a substitute for hdep. that is used in the bodyboard at the bottom, but e has happened to put one in the top to protect the xps to the hits, since this does not have the properties of pe and pp. I think this is already used in a soft surfboard

glue http://www.rayt.com/es/adhesivos-contacto/21-novopren-c-721-a.html

I have discovered that materials apart from being compatible or not, the elastic module is very important, 2 flexible materials bonded with a rigid tail, like polyester tend to crack.

I have to think about alternatives to get more flex in my paipos

Dépend what you want or better wich matérial you want to take wich stress. For sure if you put a stiffer one it’ll take more load. You also need to look elongation to elastic limite specialy for flexible material. And if it’s “plastic” matérial you must look at energy when stretch that play on dynamic (= the flex feeling). So lot of parameters to play. One rule for gluing is to use a glue with higher max shear elongation than matérial glued.