fin base questions

I have been perusing the old listings and I think I have it, but some input from you fin guys would be helpful. I layed up a Nuuhiwa style noserider fin and had the intention of just glassing it on when i finish my longboard. But I think I want to make it removable. I built a jig out of wood and was going to line it in wax paper. Then I was going to used left over scraps of 6 oz. to line the box, then pour in the resin with some milled fiber. Is the milled fiber qcell? Should i use sanding or lam resin? I was just going to let it set, then i was going to mill the base to a correct depth and width. I was also going to put the pin in after everything set by just drilling a hole and setting the pin. I used alternating colors to get my foil right and it came out decent, not perfect, but not bad for a first try. Allright thanks

Quote:
I have been perusing the old listings and I think I have it, but some input from you fin guys would be helpful. I layed up a Nuuhiwa style noserider fin and had the intention of just glassing it on when i finish my longboard. But I think I want to make it removable. I built a jig out of wood and was going to line it in wax paper. Then I was going to used left over scraps of 6 oz. to line the box, then pour in the resin with some milled fiber. Is the milled fiber qcell? Should i use sanding or lam resin? I was just going to let it set, then i was going to mill the base to a correct depth and width. I was also going to put the pin in after everything set by just drilling a hole and setting the pin. I used alternating colors to get my foil right and it came out decent, not perfect, but not bad for a first try. Allright thanks

Q-cell is foam dust. You want milled fiber.

The easiest thing to do is to remake the fin with a fin base on it…but if you really want to add a base to the existing fin I would recommend the following

1. grind the fin narrower near the base.

2. Take a fin layup scrap plate and grind it down some…these will become the fin and fin tab

3. Put 4-5 layers of glass on each side of the fin/fin tab…use lam resin…saturate the glass, make sure alignment is good…clamp the glass to the sides of the fin, then clean it up well when you are done…

The problem with just using milled glass is that without continuity from the fin glass to the base you are making, the fin will break right at the tab joint. So, you need a few layers tying it all together - 5 layers of 6 ounce is enough. So, you need to grind 5 layers off the bottom of the fin so it will all fit.

Tab width is 0.350 inches. Depth 1 inch.