Fin box is not holding the fin in place (Sliding while screwed in)

I put the fin in the box
line up the plate with the fin screw
Screw in and secure in the plate.
The fin will still slide back and forth within the fin box.

What gives?
Do I need to get a whole new fin box?
How can I secure the fin?

Sounds like your screw might be too long, bottoming out in the box before the plate is fully compressed against the channel. Otherwise the pinch pressure as you tighten the screw should definitely lock that puppy down.

BINGO !

Look at the bottom of your fin and make sure the depth of the tab where the screw meets the plate is less than the depth of the box channel. Also look at the bottom of the fin and see how far down it travels into the box. You could have a fin that goes down too far into the box so there isn’t anything for the screw/plate to put pressure on. The fin needs to bottom out and the tab needs to have clearance for the screw/plate to apply pressure. Add something along the bottom of the fin to make it hit the bottom of the box.
I also like a tight fitting fin, so if your fin moves easily, maybe add a strip of masking tape on the sides to snug up the fit.

I’ll try that thanks!

If the screw is long enough to hit the bottom of the channel before the plate tightens against the top of the slot, then the screw would fetch up and stop the fin from sliding.
Sharkcountry is on the right track. Sometimes, the tab that the bolt goes through is too thick and the plate will not be able to tighten against the top of the slot.
I will draw something up to illustrate what may be wrong, a little later.

try another fin.

One would expect that to be the first move.

Try 2 or 3 different fins just to make sure…

If you tried a couple of fins and they all have a problem, there are a couple things you can do, but I need to know more about how the fins sit in the box.

thats what she said…

so I hear…

Thank you, I will try that too!