fin box

I’m working on my first longboard…what is the best way to install the fin box. Should I use a router to cut out and how deep if I use two layers 6 oz.glass on the board. Also does anyone know what resin and/or tint is used to get that “old coke bottle” colored glass job. Thanks!

I’m working on my first longboard…what is the best way to install the > fin box. Should I use a router to cut out and how deep if I use two layers > 6 oz.glass on the board. Also does anyone know what resin and/or tint is > used to get that “old coke bottle” colored glass job. Thanks! I believe that color is a result of Volan glass. When saturated, this heavier fiberglass exhibits a different transparent quality than others. At least I think that’s what I’ve noticed.

I believe that color is a result of Volan glass. When saturated, this > heavier fiberglass exhibits a different transparent quality than others. > At least I think that’s what I’ve noticed. 10oz.VOLAN is the unbleached glass that exhibits a greenish tint but your looking at waaayyy more laminating work(which was the norm in the 60’s-70’s. To put in a quick 10.5" finbox first outline it on bottom of hotcoated board, drill corners of ouline(drill depth 1" w/masking tape on approx. .125 bit). Duct tape carpenters sqare on outline and cut out with drill by pulling alongside the carp.square. Stringer is harder but can be cut through. Now get your 1/2" wood chisel out and remove inside matl. to a depth of 1". Its easy and safe. A little white pigment in resin and wha-la your backyard special is ready for 3 hours of sanding your ass off!!!

If you plan on building more than one board with the same size fin box this is what I suggest doing: 1) Get a small piece of OSB/Plywood 1/2" thick 2) Measure the width and length of the fin box - add approx 1/8" - 3/16" to take make room for the resin around the box 3) On the OSB/Plywood, center these measurements and draw lines to outline the area to be cut. 4) take a jigsaw and cut out the area draw (be careful not to cut outside the line) 5) once cut out trace onto a piece of paper to make sure the edges are straight/to your satisfaction (if not try to clean it up or redo steps 1-4. 6) Use a router with a template bit (straight bit with a bearing ring above the blade ($25 bit, but worth every penny)Set the bit to the depth of the box adding space for resin mixture. (ex. if your box is 1" deep after sanding, set the bit 1 1/8" - 1 3/16" from base of router) 7) Get a piece of rubber used to hold carpet from sliding. Cut out a space to the size of the OSB/Plywood template for your box. 8) Make you mark of where you are putting you box on your board. 9) Place the rubber mat (with hole for cut) down on your board. Place your fin box template (OSB/Plywood) on the rubber mat, and rap making tape top over the set-up so the tempalt will not move. 10) Use a drill to make a starter hole for your box fin (do not do this in the corner, move in toward the center of the area to be cut, and do not go too deep.) 11) Using the router, begin to follow the edge of your OSB/Plywood. Go around from corner to corner til the basic outline of the box is complete. (This will ensure the stringer has been cut at each end of the box. 12) Remove your template and rubber mat. 13) Use a pair of needle nose plyers to break out the remaining foam & stringer 14) Clean out fin box area, and you should now be able to see a clean cut fin box. Good Luck.

10oz.VOLAN is the unbleached glass that exhibits a greenish tint but your > looking at waaayyy more laminating work(which was the norm in the > 60’s-70’s. To put in a quick 10.5" finbox first outline it on bottom > of hotcoated board, drill corners of ouline(drill depth 1" w/masking > tape on approx. .125 bit). Duct tape carpenters sqare on outline and cut > out with drill by pulling alongside the carp.square. Stringer is harder > but can be cut through. Now get your 1/2" wood chisel out and remove > inside matl. to a depth of 1". Its easy and safe. A little white > pigment in resin and wha-la your backyard special is ready for 3 hours of > sanding your ass off!!! what are the best steps to follow if you want to glass a fin on? – or if you are having the board glassed how would you recommend dropping it off?