Fin cant for V bottom

I’ve been fixing up this sold Byrning Spears 6 channel. The thing was missing side fins so I glassed some new ones in. The next day it dawned on me that I forgot to check if there was any V in the bottom which would have affected the cant of the fins. Turns out that the board has about 1/4 inch of V. The result is that the fins are canted over more than I’m used to seeing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? My thinking is that I probably should have allowed of the V and canted them less.

Whatever happens I’ll take the thing for a surf and see how it goes. I’ll be pretty gutted if I have to reset the fins though since sanding the channels is pretty time consuming.

Taking off and re setting glass ons really isn’t as bad as it sounds. But when you throw channels into the mix it will add some time. Where are the channels in relation to the fins?

Cant is not as sensitive as is toe in how it negatively affects board performance. IMO if you are over 9 degrees that’s too much and the outside fin might be disengaging too soon on a turn. Channels tend to be more directional down the line and too much toe will negatively influence down the line speed. If you like how it turns, leave them alone. If you need to re-set them, grind down the fillets and knock them loose with a mallet.

…with too much tilt and V you “ventilate” a lot the underside so the disengage occurs, losing speed, momentum and projection but gaining short action turning without “guts”

-Surfteach, if you use a mallet you also “lift” the layers that are in the bottom and you finish with PU separated from PU (the worst scenario), PU separated from fiberglass and sometimes fiberglass separated from the other fiber layers.
If you still use a mallet and the fin is removed without all these problems, is and indicator of a BAD fin glassing process.

I’d like to see some pics.